price of a restored amberol 50

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
debndunk
Victor I

price of a restored amberol 50

Post by debndunk »

Hi can anyone tell me what I would have to expect to pay for an amerola 50, fully restored? Many thanks Gordon.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: price of a restored amberol 50

Post by Jerry B. »

You should be able to buy an Amberola 50 in good working order from $300 to $500. Mahogany is more common than oak. Jerry

ewok
Victor O

Post by ewok »

I am a newbie and my budget is always limited. Let me share my limited experience as a newbie.

When I searched for my first real phonograph to purchase, I ordered the book "The Compleat Talking Machine" by Eric Reiss at the same time. It's a very helpful and comparatively inexpensive book. I have been doing all reapirs DIY following that book and other resource on the internet. Also, ask questions here when you encounter phonograph-related problems and try to make friends with local collectors.

Maybe that's me but I feel that keeping machines made 80 or 90 years ago means one has to deal with broken parts on a regular base. It's simply not practical to have EVERYTHING done by a professional!
debndunk wrote:Hi can anyone tell me what I would have to expect to pay for an amerola 50, fully restored? Many thanks Gordon.
Last edited by ewok on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

debndunk
Victor I

Post by debndunk »

Thanks fella's for the input. I'll take on board all your answers to my questions. Gordon.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

ewok wrote:...

Maybe that's me but I feel that keeping machines made 80 or 90 years ago means one has to deal with broken parts on a regular base. It's simply not practical to have EVERYTHING done by a professional!

...]
I may be taking your quote too literally, but I have found that these machines RARELY break, they do occasionally break, but it is rare. More often than not, you will come across a broken machine and once it is repaired, one should not have major issues. They can be, however, a bit finicky at times requiring minor adjustments to keep them playing well.

Having said that, I do agree with you, having ones machines maintained professionally would be prohibitively expensive. Having them professionally fixed, then dealing with the temperaments oneself should be a skill easily learned by just about anyone.

Others can comment.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

Brad: Likewise, in my experience, breakage of any kind rarely happens. Two broken springs over the last 40+ years; those broke while playing, not while winding. The rest of my endeavors has been restoration (new reproducer gaskets, etc.), adjustments and routine oiling.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

VintageTechnologies wrote:Brad: Likewise, in my experience, breakage of any kind rarely happens. Two broken springs over the last 40+ years; those broke while playing, not while winding. The rest of my endeavors has been restoration (new reproducer gaskets, etc.), adjustments and routine oiling.
same here, once i get a machine running, it stays running, in the last 4 years i have never had a problem with a machine, my edison fireside came as a wreck, even then it only needed a few parts and alot of adjustment and oiling and i have never had a problem with it since

ewok
Victor O

Post by ewok »

Hmm....maybe I did not have correctly restored machines to begin with and I am still on the first part of my learning curve. However, I have a lot of fun keeping my hands busy (and dirty)!