WTB: Portables - Victor or Columbia

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
muffinass
Victor O

WTB: Portables - Victor or Columbia

Post by muffinass »

So after resigning myself to the fact that I missed out on a really good deal for a Victor 2-55 portable, I decided to post here and see if I could patch up that loss.

Summing it up, I'm looking for a Victor portable: models 2-35, 2-55 or 2-65. Ideally, the plating on the inside should be in excellent condition. The case I'm not so worried about, as long as the insides don't look too beat up.

Also looking for a Columbia Viva Tonal portable, models 160, 161 or 163 - or the UK 113 for that matter. I missed out on 2 chances years ago on eBay and since then I've been patiently waiting dwindling my thumbs in the hopes of seeing another one pop up.

If anyone has one or can point me in the direction of procuring one (of each), I'd greatly appreciate a PM. I'm also not running on a large budget, hence the attempt to scope out a deal - especially since shipping to Canada will probably run me ½ of the gramophone value.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to getting some replies.

Cheers!

ewok
Victor O

Re: WTB: Portables - Victor or Columbia

Post by ewok »

Do you also consider buying British HMV portables? There have been some eBay auctions of HMV 101 and 102 in EXCELLENT aconditions. A few of them are US sellers, that means no high shipping cost and custom to pay. For example, I am watching this eBay auction closely (http://www.ebay.com/itm/271005010379?ss ... 1438.l2649)and will see how much it will go in the end (just for future reference).
(I am NOT the seller of the ebay auction that I refer to, BTW.)

muffinass
Victor O

Post by muffinass »

ewok wrote:Do you also consider buying British HMV portables? There have been some eBay auctions of HMV 101 and 102 in EXCELLENT aconditions. A few of them are US sellers, that means no high shipping cost and custom to pay. For example, I am watching this eBay auction closely (http://www.ebay.com/itm/271005010379?ss ... 1438.l2649)and will see how much it will go in the end (just for future reference).
I have and eventually did, although not off eBay. It's true, eBay offers some pristine HMV portables (heck there was a green 102 that hadn't been used and it came in its cloth bag) but they gouge your pockets with some ridiculous prices.

Luck struck and I first bought an HMV 101 locally for $75 (I posted a thread about it in the Tips & Tricks section) and am now looking forward to bring home an almost pristine condition red HMV 102 (sans record tray) that I lucked out for 100 euros. The 102 will have to get fixed as it's not working (the crank turns on empty).

I've now started looking at the Victor and Columbia portables but these seem harder to find, especially the models mentioned.

muffinass
Victor O

Post by muffinass »

ewok wrote:Do you also consider buying British HMV portables? There have been some eBay auctions of HMV 101 and 102 in EXCELLENT aconditions. A few of them are US sellers, that means no high shipping cost and custom to pay. For example, I am watching this eBay auction closely (http://www.ebay.com/itm/271005010379?ss ... 1438.l2649)and will see how much it will go in the end (just for future reference).
(I am NOT the seller of the ebay auction that I refer to, BTW.)
Oh, and out of curiosity, isn't that a No.16 soundbox? (which, from what I've read, does not age well)

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

True, it's a No. 16 soundbox. A more common 5A or 5B can be easily interchanged, however.
Adam

ewok
Victor O

Post by ewok »

I just saw this Viva-tonal portable on eBay (US seller). I remember last Viva-tonal portable sold on eBay (US seller) went for $120 plus shipping but this one is a British machine and condition LOOKS nuch better.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vintage ... 2ebfa0a3e8

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

That's a Columbia 204. Nice little machine, but his description is a bit optimistic!
It was first made in 1933, the first model to come after the HMV/Columbia merger in 1931. The case is covered in ordinary leatherette material, certainly not crocodile skin. Far from being luxurious, it's a very basic, but solid and reliable machine. HMV issued the same machine with very minor differences (model 97)and advertised it as the cheaper alternative to the 102. On the black versions, it is obvious that they were made down to a price, as none of the cabinet fittings were plated, only the arm, turntable and controls. The reason for the two identical models is that HMV products were only allowed to be sold through appointed dealers, whilst Columbia could be sold wholesale to whoever wanted to sell them. They were sold until 1955, and here in England they are very plentiful, usually making around 75 dollars. The HMV version is naturally preferred, and usually fetches a bit more. The soundbox on this is the superb No.15, but in my opinion, the very small single spring motor lets this machine down somewhat. There is hardly any internal horn to speak of, it ends at the left front of the cabinet, and is directed to the back of the cabinet by two pieces of bent card, but it still sounds good for the size of the machine. I also find that the motor tends to gather a lot of fluff and dirt, as when the machine is open, the motor is semi-exposed. Not seen directly,
but only just hidden by the edge of the motor board. Luxurious? Hardly!

Barry

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Right now the only portable I have is an oak VV-50. Although it comes standard with a Victrola #2 soundbox, I also have an orthophonic which I have adapted to fit the tonearm. It plays electrics very well. The American Vivatonal portables are terrific machines. I had one some years ago and used to take it to union to preview my stacks of records when I brought them back to the campground. They are loud and have good sound and quality mechanics.

Jim