HMV Portable Player

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
gramophone78
Victor VI

HMV Portable Player

Post by gramophone78 »

There is a lady near me that has this machine. I'm not up on HMV models. It looks like it's in great shape. Anyone want to make an offer???. I'm not sure what it's worth and the lady has no idea either. PM me if your wish.
New info......the lady has decided to keep the machine.
Last edited by gramophone78 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beaumonde
Victor III

Re: HMV Portable Player

Post by beaumonde »

Looks like a Model 114 in teak, from about 1940. It's pretty uncommon!

I'm not sure that scarcity = $$$ in this case, but it looks to be in nice condition. The 114 has the 5A soundbox and the 114c the 5B, according to Dave Cooper's book "The Perfect Portable". The only thing is that it would be pretty expensive to ship, as it's quite large and heavy compared to a 102 (probably akin in size and weight to a VV-50). If I were local I'd be interested, you should be too!
Adam

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Thanks Adam. I will let the lady know. I too agree that shipping this would be $$$$$$. I guess your right....I should consider it myself. However, I was never big on portables. I barely have the room for more horn machines. I may just tell her to place it in a local auction.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Interesting machine, a tropical model made in India. It is quite heavy since it has a 2-spring motor.

I have an HMV model 112 which is similar in concept, but manufactured earlier and equipped with a #4 soundbox.

Unfortunately, the machine in the photos has been refinished on the outside. It also looks like the paint has been stripped from the horn. That will detract from the value.

It's still a nice machine that could be put right by restoring the exterior and horn to the proper colors.
Best regards ... AZ*