Serial #: 13954
Year(s) Made: 190?
Original Cost: $60.00
Case/Cabinet Size: 16¼ x 16¼ x 7½
Turntable/Mandrel: 12"
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Exhibition
Motor: 3 springs
Horn Dimensions: 36" x 23"
Reproduction Parts: springs, motor board screws, turn table felt & rubber bits in reproducer
Current Value: ~
Interesting Facts: the big brass horn is my favourite; it really stands out! there's over 6 lbs of brass in that horn.

I'm also looking for an original crank as the one pictured belongs to my Victor IV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FLVaGT ... re=youtube
IMG_2184.jpg
IMG_2185.jpg
IMG_2188.jpg
IMG_2195.jpg
Last edited by Le0 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Machines I own: Edison Standard A, suitcase Home, Home A, Triumph A & B, Columbia type BS, Standard Model A, Victor E, IV & V, Pathéphone No.4

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Featured Phonograph #103

Post by alang »

Congratulations, that's a great machine. I agree, that brass horn looks stunning.

I am a bit confused about the serial number though. Based on the Victor Data Book S/N 13954 would make this a type M from about 1905, but based on the pictures of the case, elbow, and brake it looks like a type A from 1909 to 1913. Does anyone have an explanation?

Thanks for sharing.
Andreas

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Nice! Don't polish that horn either. Looks just perfect.

Le0
Victor II
Personal Text: avid 22 years old collector

Post by Le0 »

alang wrote:Congratulations, that's a great machine. I agree, that brass horn looks stunning.

I am a bit confused about the serial number though. Based on the Victor Data Book S/N 13954 would make this a type M from about 1905, but based on the pictures of the case, elbow, and brake it looks like a type A from 1909 to 1913. Does anyone have an explanation?

Thanks for sharing.
Andreas
it has the right motor for slotted crank and the early motor board latch. elbow is the early pinned kind, I bought it separately with the horn (I'm not sure if it's "right"). I can't tell for the brake but it's been there for a long time that's for sure.
Valecnik wrote:Nice! Don't polish that horn either. Looks just perfect.
don't worry, I have no intention to polish it! I absolutely love the rich brown color.
Machines I own: Edison Standard A, suitcase Home, Home A, Triumph A & B, Columbia type BS, Standard Model A, Victor E, IV & V, Pathéphone No.4

budsta
Victor I

Post by budsta »

The horns wicked. Nice work
Stephen

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Wow, what a great combo with that horn! Fantastic! I know some people prefer a Victor VI as the "be all and end all" of the standard Victor lineup, but the V is my absuloute favorite.

Sean

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Wow - that is some horn! There's no place for a weak elbow on THAT machine! Looks great...

I agree with Sean regarding the Victor VI. Ultimately, it's all subjective... I owned a Victor VI for a year or two, but wound up selling it to help finance something I liked better. The Victor V strikes me as Victor's top-of-the-line machine without any pretensions. But goodness knows lots of people were willing to pay the freight for that added pretense just over a century ago, and many continue to admire and covet the VI. Viva la difference! :)

George P.

ambrola
Victor IV
Personal Text: Be Careful What You Say, You Can't T ake It Back!

Post by ambrola »

OrthoSean wrote:Wow, what a great combo with that horn! Fantastic! I know some people prefer a Victor VI as the "be all and end all" of the standard Victor lineup, but the V is my absuloute favorite.

Sean
I agree. I have always preferred the IV over the VI.
Nice horn and machine.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I too, like the Victor V. To me, it's a massive, masculine machine. It has a real man's look to it. It also, has a Mission Oak or Craftsman look to it also. I love that big horn. I'll bet it barks. Congrats on a nice machine.
Harvey Kravitz

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Well, all has been stated already. As Arts & Crafts collectors.....a Victor 5 is certainly all that. Now you just need a nice A&C record stand to finish off the set.... ;). Way to go Leo. JP is a heck of a guy... :D.