Piccadilly Players - Sonny Boy (1928) - never played before!

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
WDC
Victor IV

Piccadilly Players - Sonny Boy (1928) - never played before!

Post by WDC »

If I ever was certain that an old record was never ever played before that it was this diamond disc. It came in its sleeve and there is not one single trace on it. Especially the label showed no prior attempts to have been put on a phonograph. I was never certain with others but with this one I am at 100%.

Piccadilly Players:

Sonny Boy

Take your To-morrow (and give me to-day)

Edison Diamond Disc 52391, August 1928

And here are the completely unfiltered raw transfers, for anyone who would like to hear how good a new Diamond Disc can play with the available equipment of today:

http://www.box.net/shared/u9u8l0p9pi
http://www.box.net/shared/bdgqlu6ikf

The transfer was made after some minor cleaning of the surface. Both sides were the first playback for me too. Enjoy!

Paal1994
Victor II

Re: Piccadilly Players - Sonny Boy (1928) - never played before!

Post by Paal1994 »

Norman,

WOW! That disc sounds fantastic!
Electric DD's sounds fantastic when they are played before and have a little wear.
But one that never have been played before, the sound is even more lifelike. It almost sounded like I had the Piccadilly Players in my living room!

Paal.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Hello Norman,

What equiment did yu use to play this record and transfer the recording to pc? It sounds great. Also did you find the record in Europe or the USA?

Thanks for the great posts.

Bruce

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Paal1994 wrote:Electric DD's sounds fantastic when they are played before and have a little wear.
Exactly, Paal. That's why I will probably never play this one acoustically. The spectral analysis showed a frequency response of up to 6 KHz which is quite a lot for 1928.
Valecnik wrote:What equiment did yu use to play this record and transfer the recording to pc? It sounds great. Also did you find the record in Europe or the USA?
Bruce, I purchased this record in the US, it's practically impossible to find something like this in Europe. For this one I used my regular Stanton 500 cartridge with a 3 mil stylus hooked up to an ordinary RIAA pre-amplifier. This is what I use with most of the discs I transfer.