CLPGS Next london Meeting:Tuesday 16 Sept. at 19:00 hrs

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Wagnerian
Victor II

CLPGS Next london Meeting:Tuesday 16 Sept. at 19:00 hrs

Post by Wagnerian »

The next CLPGS London meeting will be a two part presentation by an industry insider, Sean Davies.

a) "The Rise and Fall of Audio Quality" and b) "Audio in Wartime".

Sean is an excellent presenter and this promises to be a highly informative and entertaining evening and I am very much looking forward to this.

The presentation starts at 19:00 and will finish at approx 21:15 in the Betrand Russell Room of the Conway Hall, Red Lion Sq., London WC1R 4RL. The nearest tube is Holborn on the Picadilly and Central Lines.

Admission is free (as are the refreshments) and all are welcome.

Hope to see you there.

Tim W-W

swarf007
Victor Jr

Re: CLPGS Next london Meeting:Tuesday 16 Sept. at 19:00 hrs

Post by swarf007 »

Sean's talks on the ups and downs of audio quality and audio during WW2 were so fascinatingly illustrated that we should really prevail upon him to knock one of them into shape for a CLPGS Reference Series book - with companion CD. It was particularly interesting to hear a recording he'd made in the same building with Janet Baker back in the late 1960s ... and the BBC fluffing the live announcement of WW2 was priceless. Though the room was packed, many of his rare and unique recordings really deserve to be heard by a much wider audience. Wonderful evening with generous contributions from the floor ... and plenty of beer and chat afterwards.

Simon

RefSeries
Victor I

Re: CLPGS Next london Meeting:Tuesday 16 Sept. at 19:00 hrs

Post by RefSeries »

It was a fascinating talk and I learnt a lot. This was helped by the fact that Sean has actually been there, and can comment on the subject from the point of being a recording engineer himself. The highlight for me was to hear a fairly uninteresting piece of classical music on mp3 and then to hear the same thing from a 1940s 78 beat it hollow for quality, including surface noise! Moore's Law rules... More!

Keith