CLPGS at the British Library Thursday 11 December

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Wagnerian
Victor II

CLPGS at the British Library Thursday 11 December

Post by Wagnerian »

Keith Harrison and I, on behalf of the City of London Phonograph and Gramophone Society, have been asked by the British Library to present an illustrated lecture at their Euston Road premises in London on Thursday December 11th at 18:00 in the Foyle Room.

The talk, entitled "Diamonds are Forever?", will be a history of the Edison company from the factory fire of 9th December 1914, through the effects of the Great War and the loss of the European import and export markets, to the eventual closure of the disc and cylinder business in 1929. To assist in demonstrating the best and the worst of the final 15 years of the Edison output, we will have on hand both a cylinder and an Edison Disc Phonograph to play live.

Admission is free but is by ticket only, booking details and more information can be found on the British Library web site

http://www.bl.uk/events?day_eventlistin ... 221&page=2

We look forward to seeing as many of you there as can make it.

Tim Wood-Woolley

Wagnerian
Victor II

Re: CLPGS at the British Library Thursday 11 December

Post by Wagnerian »

Some Pictures from the British Library talk of 11th December on the Edison Disc and cylinder business, ably assisted by an Amberolised Triumph Model B and a Jacobean Disc Phonograph.

SETTING UP BEFORE THE AUDIENCE ARRIVED
British Library 111214 001.jpg
INTRODUCTIONS
Introductions
Introductions
PLAYING THE JACOBEAN DISC PHONOGRAPH
Playing the J19 Diamond Disc Phonograph
Playing the J19 Diamond Disc Phonograph
THE GREAT WAR PERIOD
Showing the Lochnagar Crater on the Somme Battle Field in the Great War whilst the Triumph Phonograph played "Till The Boys Come Home"
Showing the Lochnagar Crater on the Somme Battle Field in the Great War whilst the Triumph Phonograph played "Till The Boys Come Home"
SUMMING UP
Summing UP
Summing UP
The room was pretty-well full with a gratifying number of young people, i.e a lot, lot younger than me, attending.

All the best

Tim W-W

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

Is there any chance this event was recorded and available on the internet now or in the future?
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

Looks like a very nice lecture, I also hope there are video or adio of it available.

Wagnerian
Victor II

Post by Wagnerian »

Unfortunately, I don't believe the British Library did record/video the talk. There were certainly no video cameras in evidence, which I agree, is a bit remiss of them. Next time I'm in contact with the BL, I'll suggest they may wish to think about recording their lectures.

All the best

Tim W-W