The Micro-Perophone Chromogram

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: The Micro-Perophone Chromogram

Post by epigramophone »

sigurbjorn wrote:Also I need to see how your looks like around the platter.Between the needle cups have been something on mine but there is only gaps for screws if you understand me
There are no components on the motor board near the needle cups on my machine, and no tell tale screw holes either. What you can see in the picture is one of several Perophone needle tins which I have collected over the years. My first thought is that your machine may have had a plaque from the supplying dealer fixed in this position, but it would be very helpful if you could post pictures.

If you ever rediscover those Perophone ads in the Icelandic press, perhaps you could post those too.

Meanwhile I will keep my eyes open for a spare Chromogram soundbox, but a Meltrope is likely to prove easier to find. What soundbox is fitted at present?

Roger.

sigurbjorn
Victor O

Post by sigurbjorn »

There you maybe see the place something is missing
Attachments
2014-12-10 21.46.57.jpg

sigurbjorn
Victor O

Post by sigurbjorn »

I don't find any name on this soundbox
Attachments
2014-12-10 21.48.31.jpg
2014-12-10 21.48.12.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Thankyou for posting the pictures.

I can now see that your tonearm is not fitted with either a weight adjuster or an autobrake actuating lever, both of which are present on mine. This leads me to suspect that the screw holes on your motor board were for another type of autobrake which has since been removed, probably because it became troublesome.

Your soundbox is almost certainly of Swiss origin and predates your machine. A better soundbox designed to cope with electrical recordings will transform the reproduction.

sigurbjorn
Victor O

Post by sigurbjorn »

Ok, thanks.Now I need to look after weight adjuster and a autobrake actuating lever

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

I believe that only the deluxe versions had the weight adjuster, the mounting for which is soldered to the top of the tonearm (see the pictures of mine). If there is no evidence of this on your machine, the chances are that it never had one.

I have seen various designs of autobrake on Chromograms, which work with varying degrees of success. If there is no evidence of a mechanism under the turntable it would be difficult to say what design yours originally had.

Roger

sigurbjorn
Victor O

Post by sigurbjorn »

Ok,thanks.

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

I would be curious to know opinions concerning the tonal qualities of tubular versus tapered tonearms. Some high-end machines had long tubular tonearms, but the way Victor enforced its tapered tonearm patents, I always figured they must have been superior.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

To most British ears, the tonal qualities of the highly regarded EMG and Expert hand made gramophones have never been bettered. Both firms used long parallel bore tonearms, as does the Micro-Perophone Chromogram.

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

Greetings Earthlings! just time to wish you ALL a pleasant Christmastime, and all good gramophonic wishes for 2015. As I have not posted anything for a year or so, I forgot my password...then after some furious thinking, remembered it! Most interesting to hear from one of my gramophone chums, Roger Mackey, that Iceland has it's very own Micro-Perophone Chromogram machine. I am slowly putting my model 23 back together after returning from the french polisher's. May, sometime in the future, post a picture or two, of it, if I can remember how to add a photograph! Keep up the enjoyment of the forum. Gramophone and record collecting is still a wonderful hobby-I know, I first started in 1963. Alastair Murray.