EMG IX wilson horn ,has this horn been cut at the rim?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Burtemg
Victor Jr

EMG IX wilson horn ,has this horn been cut at the rim?

Post by Burtemg »

Want more info,this one does not have the smooth finish...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Burtemg
Victor Jr

Re: EMG IX wilson horn ,has this horn been cut at the rim?

Post by Burtemg »

More photo's
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

There are forum members far more knowledgeable on EMG matters than myself, but I do know that the Wilson Panharmonic horn was made by the Scientific Supply Stores of Newington Causeway, London.

Your Wonderphone horn made (or supplied?) by the Oxford Camera & Gramophone Co is unknown to me. As you rightly say, more information is needed.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

That looks like a horn designed along similar lines to a Wilson Panharmonic or EMG Mk VIII etc, but is not actually either - with the narrow end pushed into a broken EMG Mk VIII stub. My guess is that the rim has simply become abraded fom standing upright on the floor when not in use. I can't imagine that bumpy surface helps the sound - maybe that was the snake oil aspect that allowed the designer to patent it!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

A very strange craft indeed ! What is the diameter of the horn outlet ? The Mk VIII had a final diameter of 24 inches.

As Orchorsol says, the sound quality is unlikely to be good, having to navigate the "furrows", and the whole affair looks rather unconvincing---most improbably anything to do with EMG as a horn it would seem. In my limited experience, I have never come across anything quite like it before even though there were other papier-appliqué horn makers. The construction would appear to be paper over wicker---a very bizarre idea unrelated to the successful scientific reproduction of sound in spite of Wilson horn pretensions ! I suppose that when the paper was new, and laid over the wicker template on both sides, the result could have been a reasonably smooth surface before the ravages of time caused quite a lot of shrinkage ? Still not the best of ideas but intriguing nevertheless!

Do you know anything about the history ? Full dimensions would help the investigation.

How does it sound ?

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

It's not a horn at all!

It's the basketweave cane carrying case for transporting the original horn, and has been papered over. I've only ever seen one, and it had a leather carrying handle attached.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

That sounds like a logical explanation, in which case the Wonderphone plaque must have been a later addition. Where did it come from?

stevel
Victor II

Post by stevel »

epigramophone wrote:That sounds like a logical explanation, in which case the Wonderphone plaque must have been a later addition. Where did it come from?
Christie's probably:
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/LotD ... tID=673159

and then maybe sold on Ebay 17 years later;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130866057519

Steve

2Bdecided
Victor I

Post by 2Bdecided »

There is a tiny thumbnail picture still available for that last eBay auction. It does not show up by default so here it is:
130866057519_0.jpg
130866057519_0.jpg (5.94 KiB) Viewed 3668 times
If it is the same horn, it seems it was made for a phonograph and has had both ends cut off for use with an EMG. Strange if so, as you would expect it to be valuable in its own right.

Cheers,
David.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

When I posted earlier that this was a carrying basket for the original horn, it may have led to confusion- sorry!

I didn't mean the original horn for the EMG pictured, I meant the original phonograph horn that the basket was made for. This mutilated thing is nothing whatsoever to do with EMG.