Featured Phonograph № 28

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Featured Phonograph № 28

Post by brianu »

I finally got around to pulling this one out from the storage area and cleaning it up...

Make: Sonora Phonograph Corp.
Model: Rosary
Serial # SERIAL
Year(s) Made: unsure, probably in the few years just before or just after 1920
Original Cost: unsure
Case/Cabinet Size: 47.5 inches tall, 21 by 21 inches wide/deep
Turntable/Mandrel: 12-inch
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Sonora, with swiveling arm assembly to play lateral and vertical cut discs
Motor: two-spring, but much larger than normal (runs almost as long as a standard four spring motor)
Horn Dimensions: HORN
Reproduction Parts: all original
Current Value: VALUE
Interesting Facts: never seen this model sonora before - the company is known for its quality cabinets, especially in the bombe style... this one I think is equally ornate, but with dramatically bowed sides and front

Favorite Characteristics: the playing versatility is great, since the reproducer can be pivoted to play both standard lateral 78's as well as (with the proper stylus) the vertical cut Pathés and even edison diamond discs (although some people will never play DD's on anything but an edison)... also the motor is unusual, very large and long-running for a two-spring motor, and also, it's mounted inside the cabinet, not on the underside of the motorboard... volume is controlled by a damper beneath the tonearm that can be moved by a rod connected to a knob on the cabinet's side... I also like the storage area, with the drawer and the record sleeves (although I never use those sleeves... so actually, it's not much of a storage area I guess, but I can't bring myself to remove them, would rather preserve the originality as much as possible)
Attachments
HPIM1000.JPG
HPIM0999.JPG
HPIM1009.JPG
HPIM1002.JPG
HPIM1003.JPG
HPIM1004.JPG
HPIM1008.JPG
HPIM1007.JPG

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Featured Phonograph № 28

Post by gramophoneshane »

That's a great looking machine Brian, and an unusual design.
If you ever have to service the motor, I'd love to see you add a picture of it one day. I've never seen a Paillard's bottom mount motor before.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Brian,

That's one of the most handsome Sonoras I've ever seen!

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Nice looking Sanora, Brian.

Paul

Tampa Don
Victor Jr

Post by Tampa Don »

You just "got around to pulling this one out of storage?!" Jeez! It makes me wonder what other treasures that you might have hidden away? In all seriousness, Brian... What a beauty! Is that walnut? I certainly feel Sonora had a hand up on many of its competitors re. cabinet styling.
Thanks for sharing the photos.
Don

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

Tampa Don wrote:You just "got around to pulling this one out of storage?!" Jeez! It makes me wonder what other treasures that you might have hidden away?
Don
I would like to know the same ;) GREAT MACHINE THOUGH!!

Aaron

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

Very nice Sonora. It looks remarkably like a Sonora Troubadour, only the grill and upper corner decorative moldings are a little different.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

thanks for the compliments. I'd pass them along to the phonograph. also, I'll try to snap a shot of the motor assembly when I get a chance. and so far as other machines, there might be a couple of unusual ones of interest that could be posted on a featured thread (at this point, though, it's mainly victor and Pathé machines that I have, aside from a few edisons and a couple of off-brand players). I'll get another one up this week or next unless someone else beats me to it.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

That's a looker all right, and the purple TT felt complements the machine very nicely.

Looks good enough to eat.

nipper
Victor O
Personal Text: "Always On Vacation"

Post by nipper »

Hi Brian

Hope all is well.

You know I am not very fun of any machines outside victor, but in this case I must say this a very sexy machine.

Wish my stored machines look half as good.

Nice ;)

Nipper