Featured Phonograph № 29

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
B.B.B
Victor I

Featured Phonograph № 29

Post by B.B.B »

Come on now! Feature a real oddball or I swear I'll show you my almost original mahogany VV-XI from the inside out :twisted:
Searching for The Sound

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Featured Phonograph № 29

Post by Brad »

The thought of seeing Triple B's insides spurred me to action! :D I have featured this machine on the old board, but thought that it is unique enough to trot out again.

Make: Heywood Wakefield
Model: Wicker
Serial # Unknown
Year(s) Made: Unknown
Original Cost: Unknown
Case/Cabinet Size: Wicker floor Model
Turntable/Mandrel: Table
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Perfektone metal, mica, and hard rubber
Motor: MOTOR
Horn Dimensions: Internal
Reproduction Parts: 100% Original
Current Value: Unknown
Interesting Facts: Heywood Wakefield marketed and sold a line of wicker phonographs. Very few have survived intacted because many of them spent considerable time outdoors.

Favorite Characteristics:
First, Machine is completely original including the key and has no wicker damage, just dirt.

Second, It has the look of "age" I so much treasure in a old phonograph.

Third, Not much is written about them.

Forth, I have seen may 5 or 6 in my collecting days and no two are alike.

Finally Fifth: These machines seem to illicit the emotions of some collectors into singing their praises or evangelizing for their removal from the planet. SO BRING IT ON!
Attachments
Picture 029.jpg
Picture 030.jpg
Picture 032.jpg
Picture 033.jpg
Picture 034.jpg
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Brad,

I love it! Makes me wish I had a front porch! (Or more appropriate to my neighborhood-a back piazza. :D ) Thanks for sharing it.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

bostonmike1
Victor I

Post by bostonmike1 »

Neophone wrote:Brad,

I love it! Makes me wish I had a front porch! (Or more appropriate to my neighborhood-a back piazza. :D ) Thanks for sharing it.

Regards,
John
And I thought I was the only one who knew what a "piazza" was!! I have not heard that term used since I was growing up in Boston in the 50's. Is that term still used, or is it just something you pulled out of the deep recesses of your "mind's archives"? Thanks for a momentary jolt to the past. Michael

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I take it you never ended up giving this machine a wash Brad?

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Hi G-Shane,

No, I am afraid to. I don't want it to look artifically cleaned. I have been watching auctions and estate sales for any wicker piece (i.e. chair, basket, etc) that is cheap and looks to be similar that I could experiment on.

(And to Triple B, you are not the only one. My Grandmother came over from the old country and settled in Everette in 1917. She used to always talk about sitting out on the piazza and having coffee. Small world)
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Brad,

Thank you for saving us from whatever B.B.B had in mind. (Phono-gore?) :lol:

While I have not had the opportunity to listen to a wicker phonograph, I find them interesting, although I cannot imagine that it is an ideal material from which to make machines.

How many companies made wicker machines?

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Mike,

I still say piazza, heck I still say icebox and firebarn, but most of the old colloquialisms are fast disappearing. The kids don't even say packie anymore!!!! :o

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Neophone wrote:Mike,

I still say piazza, heck I still say icebox and firebarn, but most of the old colloquialisms are fast disappearing. The kids don't even say packie anymore!!!! :o

Regards,
John
Dear East Coast contingent,

Please explain for those of us born in the Midwest, (not to mention Europe and Australia), what on earth is a...
- piazza (my guess would be back porch?)
- firebarn
- packie (my guess would be a Packard car?)

Regarding the "Perfect Tone", I note the large number of patents mostly between 1916 and 1918. Would be interesting to know what on earth could still be patentable on this machine.

Thanks for posting.

B.B.B
Victor I

Post by B.B.B »

And who said that threatening people doesn't work :D

You hit the spot on this one!
It sure is a lovely machine. Deserves its place in any collection IMO. All original & all.

I remember this one from the old board. But I really love to see it again. Very fascinating.
I also posted a thread there when I found a picture of a wicker phonograph & wanted to find out more about them.
But, like you wrote, there doesn't seem to be much information about them.

IIRC gramophoneshane wrote about a way to clean them, using the garden hose in the morning of a bright & sunny day.

Heywood-Wakefield was allegedly the biggest of the wicker producing companies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicker

Heywood-Wakefield are still in business, but for some strange reason, they don't seem to make phonographs any longer...
One day, when I become filthy rich, I'll custom order a wicker machine from them, using Credenza hardware.

http://www.heywood-wakefield.com/

This made my day! Thanks for posting.

Totally off topic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piazza
In the United States, in the early 19th century, a piazza by further extension became a fanciful name for a colonnaded porch. Yet, the word piazza was used by some, especially in the Boston area, to refer to a front porch, fanciful or otherwise, connected to a house or apartment.
Searching for The Sound