briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Featured Phonograph No. 112 "unknown maker"

Post by briankeith »

Unknown maker - Possibly Thorens ?

I know very little about this nice machine, sorry:(

Single spring motor - serial # T-102.
Case: oak with fancy inlay 14 ½ X 16 ¼ Red gum rubber feet.
Nickel plated tonearm - ball socket mount - 7 ¼ long.
Pot-metal reproducer with aluminum diaphragm marked "Apollo"
External turntable brake.
Small round knurled knob speed control mounted close to the crank handle.
2 ½ long wood knob on a rather short crank handle.
Two doors covering 4 wood louvers similar to a Victor VV-IV.
Turntable: 9 ¼ inch with light green felt.

This machine is very well made (solid) with fancy moldings and wood inlay on the doors and both sides.
The case is fairly heavy for a smaller table-top machine. The pot-metal reproducer is not very
loud but plays clearly with no signs of swelling or cracks. (so far) Rubber mounted, one set screw.
Machine plays one side of a record very well but requires a rewind to play side 2.
The case is beautiful and displays very nicely next to other small table-top machines.
Attachments
DSCF0421.JPG
DSCF0425.JPG
DSCF0424.JPG

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Featured phonograoh no. 112 "unknown maker"

Post by gramophone78 »

Assuming the Apollo reproducer is original to the machine.....it is possibly a Paillard (Swiss) made machine for the UK market.
Much like I attached (just an example of many they made in this style).
Image17_4.jpg
Last edited by gramophone78 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

If you take and post a photo of the motor and the bottom plate there may be a clue there?

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

paillard indeed thats true
but there's more to it than just this
you might find very similar if not identical hornless machines in other catalogs
lindstrom was a big company with many german austrian and swiss and even french and brittish brands under its wings even dough a lot of these companies where independent in their own right (like paillard)
this however is a machine with lindstrom characteristics lets note them out
1 inlay or transfers on doors
2 1 spring motor with speed control on the side
3 the typical break you find on all of these lindstrom type machines
4 the tone arm on its mount (some machines have a rear mount with a similar system)
5 even the crank looks pretty identical to one of my own lindstroms
lindstrom hornles silver knobs 1.jpg
lindstrom hornless w union motor 1.JPG
opera hornless 3.jpg
opera hornless 3.jpg (31.68 KiB) Viewed 3618 times
some of the linstron type machines have linstrom staps on the inside of the case particularly those exported to the usa
my linstrom was bought in 1996 in the usa
100_0695.JPG
100_0701.JPG
100_0707.JPG
it now redides in the netherlands
i recently bought another this time a tabletop model in triangular form with an identical tone arm as the paillard but this time its a parlophone with a celluloid plaque saying it has a licence by the gramophone co
i do not have pics yet because my camera craped out

tino

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

tinovanderzwan wrote:paillard indeed thats true
you might find very similar if not identical hornless machines in other catalogs
lindstrom was a big company with many german austrian and swiss and even french and brittish brands under its wings even dough a lot of these companies where independent in their own right (like paillard)
4 the tone arm on its mount (some machines have a rear mount with a similar system)
some of the linstron type machines have linstrom staps on the inside of the case particularly those exported to the usa
[at
i recently bought another this time a tabletop model in triangular form with an identical tone arm as the paillard but this time its a parlophone with a celluloid plaque saying it has a licence by the gramophone co

tino
Tino, I think you are failing to mention, Paillard had the name "Apollo" registered for export models..... not Lindstrom. However, as I mentioned....it really depends "if" the reproducer is original to the machine... ;).

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

gramophone78 wrote:
tinovanderzwan wrote:paillard indeed thats true
[at

tino
Tino, I think you are failing to mention, Paillard had the name "Apollo" registered for export models..... not Lindstrom. However, as I mentioned....it really depends "if" the reproducer is original to the machine... ;).
apollo, homophone, polyphone, parlophone, they all had the same large exporter witch was linstrom sometimes the name of the exported product went under another name in another country f.i. some polyphon machines in germany went under the name of john bull in the uk some klingsor machines went under the name of parlophone in the uk(they also din't have strings)some parlophone machines went under the name of perophone in the uk
so apollo is just one of the many names and paillard was just one of many swiss brands lindstrom used to export to other countries

linstrom did make their own machines and records but mostly they where distributing and financing phonographs of other companies why make your own if you can sell the stuff of others

a good example is the odeon bauhaus syteme vadasz witch had a exact twin by parlophone
odeon bauhaus system vadasz portable black-gold.jpg
parlophone sytem vadasz dark blue 4.jpg
parlophone sytem vadasz dark blue 2.jpg

tino

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

tinovanderzwan wrote: apollo, homophone, polyphone, parlophone, they all had the same large exporter witch was linstrom [...] some klingsor machines went under the name of parlophone in the uk [...] so apollo is just one of the many names and paillard was just one of many swiss brands lindstrom used to export to other countries
[...]
tino
That millions of small and inexpensive machines exported to other countries from Switzerland and Germany more or less look alike can surely not be used to identify a joint exporter.

You must have a good written source, please present it to us, for your audacious claim that Lindström was the exporter for all these independent, large German and Swiss companies (Homophon, Klingsor, Paillard, Polyphon, ...).

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I have never heard such a claim before either, and if evidence exists to support it I should also like to see it.

In addition to complete machines under various names including their own, Paillard also supplied components to many other companies, notably Decca in Britain and Sonora in the USA. Paillard and Thorens were connected by marriage, Ernest Paillard and Eugene Thorens being brothers-in-law. I know of no connection with the Lindstrom group of companies.

Prior to WW1 Lindstrom controlled Beka, Fonotipia, Jumbo, Odeon and Parlophon. Carl Lindstrom (London) Ltd was wound up by order of the Board of Trade on 8 August 1916, and their Warsaw factory was closed by the Russians.

In March 1920 the Transoceanic Trading Company of Holland took over Lindstrom's factories in France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Argentina, Brazil and Chile.

On 30 August 1923 the Parlophone Co Ltd was formed in London.

On 2 September 1925 UK Columbia acquired control of Lindstrom and Transoceanic, including the Parlophone trademark.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

apollo, homophone, polyphone, parlophone, they all had the same large exporter witch was linstrom sometimes the name of the exported product went under another name in another country f.i. some polyphon machines in germany went under the name of john bull in the uk some klingsor machines went under the name of parlophone in the uk(they also din't have strings)some parlophone machines went under the name of perophone in the uk
so apollo is just one of the many names and paillard was just one of many swiss brands lindstrom used to export to other countries
linstrom did make their own machines and records but mostly they where distributing and financing phonographs of other companies why make your own if you can sell the stuff of others
tino
As a collector of Paillard machines & catalogs...I too would love to see the source of this information that "Lindstrom" exported Paillard products.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 112 "unknown maker"

Post by gramophone78 »

Getting back to Brian's machine......After looking over your pics closer, I am of the opinion the (Apollo) reproducer is of a slightly later date.
Therefore, we can not use this reproducer to determine the origin of the machine.

It is clearly of European origin and unless there are any marks, stamps, etc.... found inside....it may be difficult to ascertain the exact maker.

As Soundgen has suggested, posting further pics of the motor and or markings may help in the identification.