victrola VV-230 (art model with bowed sides) at auction...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

victrola VV-230 (art model with bowed sides) at auction...

Post by brianu »

I just got home from an auction where I was bidding on a VV-230. I wasn't terribly interested, but figured I would get it for a reasonable if not low price given the weather, the market and the location. despite most things at this auction selling unusually low, this one in my opinion didn't... overall it was in nice shape and running, but still needed the basic work - also a couple of the doors had split slightly at the lower hinges and would have had to be glued and clamped. long story short, I was bidding against one other guy who I hadn't seen there before and he won it. I'll tell you the price, but first I was just wondering at what price some of you might have stopped bidding on this one... or what you feel a reasonable price for this machine in this condition would be.

brian
Attachments
DSCF9418.jpg
DSCF9418.jpg (39.51 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
DSCF9419.jpg
DSCF9419.jpg (40.7 KiB) Viewed 2050 times

vic160
Victor Jr

Re: victrola VV-230 (art model with bowed sides) at auction...

Post by vic160 »

I paid 600.00 for mine, its almost mint. That was a few years ago, It is a beautiful machine!!

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

I actually used to have the electric version, but sold it about a year ago, a VE-230... this one was super nice. I pretty much sold it for what I had into it, which was about 900.
Attachments
MVC-142X.JPG
MVC-140X.JPG
MVC-139X.JPG

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Brian,

Hmm, hard to say what it did go for. I don't much care for low-boys, so I wouldn't pay much (sub $50 regardless of model), however, it appears that machines fetch a pretty high price in your neck of the woods. e.g. http://southjersey.craigslist.org/clt/1313825041.html
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

Lovely machine! If I only had floor room...

But a question I've wondered about for a long time. Do the machines with obviously larger horns sound different? Mine are all tabletops - or my Credenza, which is of course altogether different - with much smaller horns. Louder? More full?

Nat

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

Brad wrote:Brian,

Hmm, hard to say what it did go for. I don't much care for low-boys, so I wouldn't pay much (sub $50 regardless of model), however, it appears that machines fetch a pretty high price in your neck of the woods. e.g. http://southjersey.craigslist.org/clt/1313825041.html
holy crap... I check craigslist pretty regularly even though I haven't been in much of a buying mode for quite some time now... and I hadn't noticed that one... honestly though, $6500 for a standard upright VV-X in mahogany? I can't say that typifies my area... if anything, I'd maybe expect more of such price inflation from your northern end of the state where most everything is overblown... i.e. "real" housewives of NJ... ha...

hope all is well brad.

brian

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

I don't believe the VV-230 would qualify as an "art model". They were a standard line model, albeit an upper end one. I suppose a special painted finish would kick it up to art model status, but in standard wood choices, no.

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

JohnM wrote:I don't believe the VV-230 would qualify as an "art model". They were a standard line model, albeit an upper end one. I suppose a special painted finish would kick it up to art model status, but in standard wood choices, no.

John M
I could be mistaken, but I just remember reading one of the books which referred to it with the broad category of art models, given the more elaborate and expressive cabinetry.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Really? OK!

Then is, say, a VV-130 considered an art model?

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

Either way, what was the winning bid?