Royal Purple...that's blue?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Royal Purple...that's blue?

Post by SonnyPhono »

I am helping my father in law sell some cylinders he picked up at an auction and when going through them, I found one that I need some help with. He said it was #29050. So I asked him if it was purple, thinking that it was a Royal Purple Amberol and he said that it was blue. So this afternoon I went to his house to see if he may have been mistaken, and it was indeed #29050, and was definitely a blue Amberol. I haven't ever seen a blue cylinder in the 29000 series. Could this have been a mistake, or maybe a continuation of a popular song that was ordered after the Purple Amberols were discontinued? Is it rare or more sought after being that it is blue? Any information would be helpful as he is selling the cylinders on ebay tonight and doesn't want to misguide anyone.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Royal Purple...that's blue?

Post by gramophoneshane »

The first 6 Royal purples were originally released in blue, but if it's 29050 then I'd say it might be a special order, made after 1921 when the RP series was discontinued. Afellow on another board has 29044 in blue as well.
If the title was fairly popular & old stocks had run out, I should imagine Edison would have run off an occasional batch of 100 or something, if people were still wanting it.

You didn't happen to notice what the mould number was?

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

Thats what I am thinking must have happened. Here is some information on the cylinder.

Traumerei (Violin)
By: A. Spaulding
PATD.22

I believe this would be the first take, 22nd mold. Sounds like these don't show up too much. I wonder if I should even let him list this on Ebay or if I should make him an offer and add it to my collection. :D

Any clues on value?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Ah, I was expecting to hear it was a reasonably high mould number, and it was.
I've no idea about value, but I'd suspect it to be about the same as the purple version. What it lacks in beauty is made up by rarity :D
Whether to keep it or not is really up to you. If you like violin music, then why not keep it & enjoy it.
Personally I think the violin on cylinder sounds like a cat getting its tail pulled, so I'd never play it, although I probably would keep it more as a novelty.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

I actually have the very same cylinder too but I cannot remember where I bought it. It's actually not as bad and Träumerei was a very popular song and is still well known today. Too bad that it's a dub taken from DD 82188 and not a direct recording. Albert Spalding began to record for Edison in 1910, so direct cylinder recordings are around.
Attachments
edgm-29050_1.jpg
edgm-29050_1.jpg (91.83 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
edgm-29050_2.jpg
edgm-29050_2.jpg (67.5 KiB) Viewed 1406 times

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

Thanks for the information! He went ahead and listed it on Ebay. If anyone is interested, I think it has about 5 days left. Thanks again!