Featured Phonograph № 32

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Featured Phonograph № 32

Post by Valecnik »

Make: Pathé
Model: Pathéphone Model G
Serial # 0 588 (Stamped on both wooden case and on the motor)
Year(s) Made: ~1906 - ?
Original Cost: 160 French Francs
Case/Cabinet Size:
Turntable/Mandrel:
Reproducer/Sound-Box:
Motor: Single Spring
Horn Dimensions: ~ 45cm
Reproduction Parts: rubber reproducer connector
Current Value: ?
Interesting Facts:This machine was designed to play the Pathé center start discs but would also play later vertical cut Pathé discs. Probably roughly comparable in the model range at the time to an Victor III or an Edison home. Same serial number stamped on the case and on the motor so we know these were together since day one.

Favorite Characteristics: One of the few outside horn disc machines with a lid. Nice Pathé decal on the lid. Sapphire ball stylus plays Pathé records very well and loud.

I thought I would post this machine, even though it recently left my collection for a new home, because we've had very little discussion of Pathé on this board and I think they are very interesting and generally well built, certainly good sounding machines. Most of what I know about Pathé disc machines is written here. Hopefully some of you out there who know the brand better can add additional interesting information about them.
Attachments
Here you see the machine with some of the discs it could play.  Pathé discs came in 21 cm, 25 cm, 27 cm, 29 cm, 35 cm, and 50 cm (about 8 1⁄2 inch, 10 inch, 11 3⁄4 inch, 12 inch, 14 inch, and 20 inch) sizes.  This machine struggles to play the 35cm discs and is not big enough to play the 50cm discs.
Here you see the machine with some of the discs it could play. Pathé discs came in 21 cm, 25 cm, 27 cm, 29 cm, 35 cm, and 50 cm (about 8 1⁄2 inch, 10 inch, 11 3⁄4 inch, 12 inch, 14 inch, and 20 inch) sizes. This machine struggles to play the 35cm discs and is not big enough to play the 50cm discs.
28210027.jpg
28210028.jpg
28210007.jpg
28210008.jpg
28210009.jpg
View of the speed control.  Most Pathé discs played at 90 rpms.
View of the speed control. Most Pathé discs played at 90 rpms.
28210034.jpg
If you look closely you can see the serial no. stamped into the corner of the top of the case.
If you look closely you can see the serial no. stamped into the corner of the top of the case.
Same serial number stamped on the motor, on the vertical rod just below the speed control.
Same serial number stamped on the motor, on the vertical rod just below the speed control.

B.B.B
Victor I

Re: Featured Phonograph № 32

Post by B.B.B »

Very nice machine, & in very fine condition too.
The motor looks almost brand new!

For me, Pathé were a bit before their time, very elaborate designs & new thinking regarding disc-sizes, reproduction et. al.
But for some reason they just couldn't get their machines out in the same kind of numbers as Victor/HMV or Columbia.
Were they more expensive to buy then the competition?

Anyway, I'm always glad to see machines that I haven't seen before! Thanks for posting.
Searching for The Sound

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Lovely machine, thanks for sharing!

I've never seen an external horn machine with a cover for the turntable, it's great! The little pad I see the needle resting on, is that original or homemade to prevent damage?

Also, I love the pic with the small to large records in the background.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

phonophan79 wrote:The little pad I see the needle resting on, is that original or homemade to prevent damage?
The little pad you see is just a piece of cork I cut out of a coaster. There's supposed to be a small threaded cup that screws on to protect the sapphire stylus. On some later Pathé's and perhaps even this one, there was also some mechanism to hold the arm up above the platter, or the cover, when not in use. This one does not appear to have ever had any such thing but I could be wrong.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

there is also a small screw on cap that was available for Pathé reproducers, which could be used to cover and protect the saphire when not in use. I have a couple and they do the job well.

beautiful machine though... would it originally have come with that horn, or a wooden one? was that machine a tough find? I've been watching for one, with no luck, for a while now.

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

brianu wrote:there is also a small screw on cap that was available for Pathé reproducers, which could be used to cover and protect the saphire when not in use. I have a couple and they do the job well.

beautiful machine though... would it originally have come with that horn, or a wooden one? was that machine a tough find? I've been watching for one, with no luck, for a while now.
Brianu, I called it above a "threaded cup" but small screw on cap is probably a better description. Anyway it was missing on this one. These early Pathé's from 1906, 07 etcetera are pretty tough finds in good condition. Regarding the horn, I don't know if this would be the horn it originally came with but it is certainly correct. As far as I know, no Pathé was ever offered with a wooden horn.

There are some nice copies of original Pathé catalogues at www.phono.org. They show you what original horn equipment was available in 1906 and a few years later.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Bruce

That machine is interesting because it is NOT what you first expect it to be - obviously it "was" a "Modele D" from 1906-1908 period as evidenced by that U-shape tone-arm (the later models from this period were straight), but for some reason it has been relabeled a "G". Was this a late version using unused stock? The curious thing about it too is that the horn is (strictly speaking) the wrong type for this machine. Of course, it could easily have been swapped at some point BUT given that the horn dates from the later teens (I believe?) I wonder if this isn't one of those Pathé anomolies where they used up unsold stock and added what would have been a comtemporary horn to it?

The original early horns for this same identical machine when it was a "D" were 48 cm diameter and they did not have any pressed out grooves in the centre of each panel. My Modele E, which you are familiar with, has the early style horn but is 60 cm diameter which was exclusive to that particular model. The "D" however would have had the same horn but smaller at 48cm. Your red horn is probably 48cm though? In which case, it is the right size but later pattern. Then we come back to the "G" designation. As far as I can tell there is absolutely not a single bit of difference between this machine of yours and a "D". So what was the purpose of the "G" designation? :?

I've never seen any references to a "G" before so whatever you've got it must rank higher than a standard "D" in my books! Note how much larger the letter 'G' is than the rest of the lettering. I'm also glad you've got the lid for it too. It's a very smart machine; I sometimes wish my "E" had the U-style tone-arm, although I do prefer the slightly later and more ornate back-brackets that seem to be paired up with the straight type.

Whatever, another fine machine which probably has not been tinkered with!

Steve

P.S. I have just spotted ONE tiny difference and it maybe of some significance. If the arrow pointing to the speed dial is indeed the original (I don't recognise it from any other Pathé machines?) one, it is different to the "standard" type. Maybe that's all Pathé needed to qualify the machine for a new letter! :roll: :D

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Steve,

You raised some good questions I've had but not been able to answer. Acutally I have never seen another model G but the D seems to turn up once in awhile at least.

I believe Jalal Aro, of Phonogallerie, has/had a very large poster of the Pathé line ~ 1906. The D and G were listed, with pictures, next to each other but the G was priced at 160F and the D at 175F. There was no explanation of what accounted for the difference. Slightly bigger motor on the D?

The horn could have easily been swapped I agree. The speed control, examined close up, looks very old but almost home made. I doubt that this could be factory???

It really is alot harder to answer some of the most basic questions about the early Pathé disc machines, even in Europe!

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Here's one of the later Pathé Ds Steve may be referring to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

Tampa Don
Victor Jr

Post by Tampa Don »

Valcnik,
Thanks for sharing the photos of your Pathé Model G. It really is beautiful.

I do have a couple of questions re.the Model D now on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

Does anyone know if the horn (which looks to be of copper) is an actual Pathé horn that would have been original to this model or even possibly an added option available at the time of this model's production? I've never seen such a horn in any of the referance books.

I notice, too, the same decal on the turntable cover that is on Valecnik's turntable cover in addition of having the decal on the front of the cabinet of the "disc thrower." Wasn't that decal used on phonos of much later production? and how likely would the phono have BOTH decals????

Don