Featured Phonograph № 122 - Tabletop VV-X Type A

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Featured Phonograph № 122 - Tabletop VV-X Type A

Post by alang »

Make: Victor Talking Machine Co.
Model: Tabletop Victor Victrola X Type A (VV-X Type A)
Serial #: 11565 A
Year(s) Made: early 1912
Original Cost: $75
Case/Cabinet Size: 15 ⅜" x 18 ½" x 22 ½" Mahogany
Turntable/Mandrel: 12" Pressed Steel
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Exhibition
Motor: Victor 2-spring (spiral double cut)
Horn Dimensions: non-floating horn
Reproduction Parts: governor weights and springs
Current Value: ?
Interesting Facts:

This is the second iteration of the VV-X tabletop models and the only difference to the first iteration is the type of brake used. The first model used the Victor bullet brake (#561), while this one uses the relatively unusual and short lived friction brake #1918. The tabletop VV-X was not very successful in the market, originally introduced in August 1910 and replaced by the also short-lived "spider leg" VV-X Type C in July 1912. The VV-X Type A was only on the market for 8 months. As can be seen in the pictures, it still had no "real" horn, just two wooden boards to guide the sound waves. Very similar to the VV-IV this leads to the motor hanging into the horn, causing obstruction of the free flow of sound waves and more audible motor noise.

I acquired this Victrola from forum member flashpanblue - thanks Pete :D - and picked it up at the Wayne show in September. It had a few issues, the springs didn't hold tension, the governor had some creative repair, some water damage and peeling veneer at the doors, missing crank escutcheon, and general maintenance work. The outside finish had quite some alligatoring and it seems that someone tried to re-amalgamate parts of it. It turned out that the spring problem was just a sheared off tapered pin, so I only needed new governor weights and springs from Ron Sitko and a new escutcheon from George Vollema. Then a lot of cleaning and proper lubrication and it was singing again. Also had to recreate that small strip of veneer that was missing from the right door. Now it is complete and works like a charm.

What I really like with this machine is the decorative strip of molding around the upper rim and the fact that it is an example of the time when Victor was still trying to figure it out. Later Victrolas have a much better sound quality of course, but to me the earlier imperfect machines are much more interesting.
IMG_20151024_161530.jpg
P1070994.JPG
P1070995.JPG
IMG_20151024_161931.jpg
P1080006.JPG
P1080007.JPG
P1080008.JPG
Here a few "before" pictures:
010.JPG
013.JPG
IMG_20151004_124743.jpg

emerson
Victor III

Re: Featured Phonograph № 122 - Tabletop VV-X Type A

Post by emerson »

Not only a nice machine to have in any collection, but a really nice job bringing it to the stunning example of an early internal horn table model. I have 2 mahogany and 1 oak ---all bullet brake as well as a spider leg cabinet (heard early 9 parts are used in the spider leg?). I am impressed with the way you have yours looking---what is your secret? Thanks, Herb

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I love the early Victrolas and appreciate the before and after photos. I suspect early Victrola sales surprised everyone in the industry including Victor. The profit margins must have been greater per machine creating a push to convert the lineup from external to internal horns. Imagine the power of the Victor Advertising Department that could convince the buying public that your Victrola X would be a better buy than a Victor V selling for about the same money. A prospective owner was buying an object and the sole purpose was to play records. One machine had a double spring motor with a restricted horn handicapped by the motor sitting in the horn. The Victor V had a triple spring motor with a much larger horn with the sound coming at a better angle. Oh, I forgot to mention the immediate and total visual popularity of the Victrola. The visual appeal of the Victrola outweighed the actual audio performance of the product. Jerry B.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

This is a very interesting machine and the work you did to restore it is very good indeed. Every time I come to this forum I learn something new and the Featured Phonograph is a big part of my continuing education. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Wow - beautiful job, Andreas! I cannot tell from the photos that the doors have had any veneer replaced.

I too appreciate less-than-perfect engineering on these early Victrolas. They're interesting in that regard and scarce as well.

Congratulations!

George P.

GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

Beautiful machine, the horn doesn't look much different than my VV-IV, are the horns the same size or is the VV-X's horn larger than the IV?

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. No secrets, just good old GooP and Kotton Kleanser Protective Wood Feeder afterwards. It was a bit of a pain to match that little veneer strip to the rest, but it turned out quite well. Only thing I did differently from previous projects is that I really took my time with every step and did not take any shortcuts.

The horn is similar to a VV-IV, but a lot bigger. That VV-X is pretty big and heavy, bigger than my VV-IX and nearly as heavy (47 lbs), even though it does not have a cast iron horn.

Thanks again
Andreas

GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

alang wrote:Thanks everyone for the nice comments. No secrets, just good old GooP and Kotton Kleanser Protective Wood Feeder afterwards. It was a bit of a pain to match that little veneer strip to the rest, but it turned out quite well. Only thing I did differently from previous projects is that I really took my time with every step and did not take any shortcuts.

The horn is similar to a VV-IV, but a lot bigger. That VV-X is pretty big and heavy, bigger than my VV-IX and nearly as heavy (47 lbs), even though it does not have a cast iron horn.

Thanks again
Andreas
Thanks for the information.I have never seen a VV-X in person, so I didn't know if it was just a nicer cabinet or what.

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

Hi Andreas,
Wow!! You did a fantastic job on restoring this Victrola. I am glad that I was able to pass this machine along to someone who had the skills to do it justice. I never thought that it would come out so nice!
Pete

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Great job with restoration. I've always thought these were handsome machines.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.