D.G.R.M. brake needs repair

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
vansteem78
Victor II

D.G.R.M. brake needs repair

Post by vansteem78 »

Would it be hard to repair this brake. The 'wire' broke. I believe this is a German brake. I have few tools so maybe you know someone in the U.S. that can repair it?
Attachments
brake 007.jpg
brake 007.jpg (64.49 KiB) Viewed 2239 times

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: D.G.R.M. brake needs repair

Post by fran604g »

I'm sure someone here can help with the repair good luck!

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

If there is a good hobby or model shop in your area, they should carry the wire of what you need. It is called piano wire or music wire. Bring your item to the store to make sure you get the right thickness and diameter.
Harvey Kravitz

US PHONO
Victor II

Post by US PHONO »

It is not ordinary wire, it is spring steel. Not sure if Piano wire would do the trick?

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I've used piano wire to repair a Victor break. This is the round brake for the early alpha series machines, like the Victor P or R. It takes some effort to bent it to the right shape. Then it has to be trimmed with a Dremel tool. It has the right springiness for this application. I have used that wire with other model applications such as slot cars and model trains.
Harvey Kravitz

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Steel "Music wire" / "piano wire" is hard and springy... it is not at all soft and docile like "baling wire" or iron tie-wire.

As Harvey mentioned, it comes in a variety of diameters, so have your original part handy to match the diameter.

If you know any piano technicians, they can probably fix you up with exactly what you need.
De Soto Frank

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Thanks, all for your replies. As it turns out I gave it to a guy that works on player pianos and phonographs too. He did have problems removing the old wire and so said he had to call another guy and so I still wait. The worst part is waiting if you ask me. ha ha

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

I'll bet that wire was tempered *after* it was bent into shape. Trying to bend tempered wire can be a real frustration.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

If you are skilled at silver soldering rendering a small blob at the break. Should take care of the issue and still allow it to function sufficiently. If you are not skilled at silver soldering take it to a good jeweler who services his own merchandise and who can silver solder!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

A break in the brake... ;)
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife