EMG Mark Xa (Export) - Rebuild, Conservation and EMG list

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
emgcr
Victor IV

Re: EMG Mark Xa (Export) - Rebuild, Conservation and EMG lis

Post by emgcr »

Hello again Jim,

I have just searched through my collection of turntables and, as I thought, they are 99% unsuitable Garrard. Unfortunately, the various manufacturers seem to have used slightly different tapers---at least Garrard, Collaro and Paillard are all different---as double-checked this evening. This begs the question as to whether it is possible/practicable to modify to what is required. I have never tried this but I don't see why it could not be done with taper reamers assuming the metal has not been hardened---the items I have here are soft. Where a difficulty might arise is, say, when converting Garrard to Collaro it would be necessary to open out the lower taper hole, having the effect of lowering the whole turntable towards the deck-board---which may or may not be a problem (brake, deck clearance etc). The motor is often mounted with the aid of rubber washers, thus thinner items would have the effect of raising the spindle but then the winding handle is thrown out of alignment ! It really is a question of degree, depending upon your particular set-up and would require careful measurement---and/or trial and error !

However, it actually is your lucky day because I did manage to find something I did not know I had---namely one good condition Collaro turntable---see photos ! I tried it on a Collaro arbor (my own Xa with D30 motor) and it is pretty good but not absolutely perfect in terms of up and down movement, although it is a lot better than the one you have. It's yours if you would like it.

The rim is fairly good and would look like new if nickeled or you might like to leave it brown with its patina---it is good enough to look pretty respectable. I think they were originally supplied in both finishes according to choice although I am slightly uncertain as to whether that was the case in the earlier years.

At this stage, we do not know exactly what the problem with yours is---whether it is distortion of the turntable itself or damage to the taper in some way---hopefully the spindle is running true. I would say, however, that to save you quite a bit of (possibly abortive) work, trying a spare would seem a sensible way to go ? Hope this helps.
Attachments
003.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG

Jozwolf
Victor Jr

Post by Jozwolf »

emgcr wrote:Hello again Jim,

However, it actually is your lucky day because I did manage to find something I did not know I had---namely one good condition Collaro turntable---see photos ! I tried it on a Collaro arbor (my own Xa with D30 motor) and it is pretty good but not absolutely perfect in terms of up and down movement, although it is a lot better than the one you have. It's yours if you would like it.

The rim is fairly good and would look like new if nickeled or you might like to leave it brown with its patina---it is good enough to look pretty respectable. I think they were originally supplied in both finishes according to choice although I am slightly uncertain as to whether that was the case in the earlier years.

At this stage, we do not know exactly what the problem with yours is---whether it is distortion of the turntable itself or damage to the taper in some way---hopefully the spindle is running true. I would say, however, that to save you quite a bit of (possibly abortive) work, trying a spare would seem a sensible way to go ? Hope this helps.
Dear Graham,

Wow! This is such a wonderful find and offer!! I would be delighted to pay the cost of freighting this to me in Melbourne to make the most of it. I will email you to follow up and we can go from there. Thanks once more. How exciting!

All the very best,

Jim
Last edited by Jozwolf on Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jozwolf
Victor Jr

Post by Jozwolf »

Lucius1958 wrote:Pardon me for criticizing, but I think (compared with my memories of other recordings of the same piece) that the Mozart is being played way too fast: to my ear, it should be pitched nearly a fourth lower. :geek:

Bill
Hi Bill,

In answer to your observation, for which once again thanks, I took bar 336 of the recording, which as read from the score is a full bar (a minim in 2/4) of solo D natural, put it in a loop and tested it with a chromatic frequency meter app ("n-track tuner") on my iPhone. The note clocks in as a D natural just as it should! It shows a tad sharp, and if I reduce the play speed to 0.99 (ie by 1%) (using Audacity software) it produces a truer D against the frequency standard, but for all intents and purposes the record shows intonation which is within the legitimate range for concert pitch and thus appears to be playing at correct speed (as reported also by the strobe).

So I think it is close enough to true pitch and it is just that Amadio really played that fast (a bit faster even that Galway)! As I played the same concerto for my flute exam when I was 17 at end of school I am painfully aware of the difficulty of playing that fast! What a virtuoso player he was!!

All the best,

Jim

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Fascinating stuff to me here in the U.S. Jim. These EMGs are seldom seen here. I would love to hear one "in the flesh" some day.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Jozwolf
Victor Jr

Post by Jozwolf »

FloridaClay wrote:Fascinating stuff to me here in the U.S. Jim. These EMGs are seldom seen here. I would love to hear one "in the flesh" some day.

Clay
Thanks Clay,

They don't seem to have got many into the US, and I know of only mine and one other (an Xb) that made it out to Australia. Of course there may be others. You can see a list of all the ones I have heard of on my website.

Well should you ever grace our shores, or find your way to the UK I am sure you will find enough enthusiasts happy to host your first 'face to face' experience of the large horn EMGs. It is quite something!

All the best,

Jim

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Hello again Jim,

An addition to the register - I have another Xb, this one being standard (i.e. the usual EMG base rather than a conversion of a previous cabinet of different manufacture), serial number 732.

All best wishes, and keep up the good work!
Andy
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Jozwolf
Victor Jr

Post by Jozwolf »

Orchorsol wrote:Hello again Jim,

An addition to the register - I have another Xb, this one being standard (i.e. the usual EMG base rather than a conversion of a previous cabinet of different manufacture), serial number 732.

All best wishes, and keep up the good work!
Andy
Thanks Andy,

If you could provide a photo of it that would be extremely nice!

All the best,

Jim

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

[quote="JozwolfIf you could provide a photo of it that would be extremely nice![/quote]
Will do, when time permits! Please feel free to remind me.

Meanwhile, did anyone else notice the astonishing record price achieved by an EMG sound box yesterday?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181990293328?ru ... 630wt_1220
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Orchorsol wrote:[quote="JozwolfIf you could provide a photo of it that would be extremely nice!
Will do, when time permits! Please feel free to remind me.

Meanwhile, did anyone else notice the astonishing record price achieved by an EMG sound box yesterday?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181990293328?ru ... 630wt_1220[/quote]

Yes I did notice. Even though the seller described the soundbox as unused (how does one tell?) this certainly is a very high price.

My EMG 2-spring also has it's original box AND fitting instructions, but has been rebuilt at least twice in it's long life.

Roger.

Jozwolf
Victor Jr

Post by Jozwolf »

epigramophone wrote:
Orchorsol wrote: Meanwhile, did anyone else notice the astonishing record price achieved by an EMG sound box yesterday?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181990293328?ru ... 630wt_1220
Yes I did notice. Even though the seller described the soundbox as unused (how does one tell?) this certainly is a very high price.

My EMG 2-spring also has it's original box AND fitting instructions, but has been rebuilt at least twice in it's long life.

Roger.
To my eye it looked good and "newish", but there seemed to be wear on the screw heads with some of the nickel plating scraped off in the screw driver slots, which (unless that was a trick of lighting) suggested it was not exactly new. Also the dark metal fittings looked somewhat less than pristine. Perhaps, for some people, what seems to us like a lot of money seems like neither here nor there to them?
Jim