Free Edison Standard Phonograph from the APS

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Free Edison Standard Phonograph from the APS

Post by phonogfp »

The Antique Phonograph Society recently received as a donation an Edison Standard phonograph in average condition, plus a few cylinders. Like many of us on this forum, the APS believes the future of this hobby will either wither or prosper depending on interest generated among young people. Therefore, the APS has decided to donate this machine to a deserving teenager or young adult. Our goal is to have completed preparations to do this by the Union Phonograph show.

We would like to team that young person with a mentor who can help guide him/her through restoration and the early stages of collecting. The recipient need not attend the Union Phonograph show, but should reside close enough to his or her mentor so that there can be effective guidance and skills development.

If you would like to recommend a young person who would appreciate such a gesture, please PM me with your recommendation and some background information on your candidate. :)

Thanks and best to all,

George P.

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Re: Free Edison Standard Phonograph from the APS

Post by Benjamin_L »

I'll just assume you can't nominate yourself. :D

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

A prime example of "Paying It Forward"! :)

Bill

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

This is a great idea!

oldphonographsteve
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm the guy that found the fault in asphalt

Post by oldphonographsteve »

My cousin who is 15 years old has recently taken interest in antiques and has even contemplated buying a suitcase model. I'm not sure if he'd be interested but he might be a good candidate.

-Steve

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

oldphonographsteve wrote:My cousin who is 15 years old has recently taken interest in antiques and has even contemplated buying a suitcase model. I'm not sure if he'd be interested but he might be a good candidate.

-Steve
Steve, please PM or email me (gpaul2000 [at] aol [dot] com.) with your recommendation and some background information on your cousin.

George P.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Hi George,

Alex and his father, Andy, came today and we had a nice visit. He is delighted with the Edison Standard and we both enjoyed playing some of his records on his machine. I quickly found out he was interested in old bikes as well so we have much in common. I suggested he take the machine home and get acquainted with it and decide how much restoration he would like to do. I showed him some of the machines I restored to get an idea of the possibilities. I directed him towards The Talking Machine Forum and look forward to getting better acquainted.

Thanks, Jerry Blais

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

That's fabulous, Jerry!

You are the Master Mentor. :) I sure wish I had had someone to mentor me when I was 15...

Here are Alex and Jerry earlier today:
Alex&Jerry.JPG
Alex&Jerry.JPG (98.51 KiB) Viewed 6400 times
My thanks go out to several Antique Phonograph Society members whose efforts made this possible. We will post future photos showing the Standard after Alex and Jerry have worked on it.

Congratulations to Alex and to all involved. The APS is planning to do this again.

George P.

oldphonographsteve
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm the guy that found the fault in asphalt

Post by oldphonographsteve »

This is just great! I'm so glad this ended up working out for Alex. Thank you so much, George and Jerry, for this awesome opportunity for my cousin and introducing him to the world of phonographs and restoration.

-Stephen

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

This is a wonderful idea. It is helpful that Alex has a cousin who is also on the forum. Thanks, Jerry, for your help with this project.