Zonophone--me the underbidder

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

Zonophone--me the underbidder

Post by jboger »

Just back from an evening auction, an auction that was cleaning out houses. A lot of junk, some good stuff, and a Zonophone. It was the reason I went. I believe it was a Concert. The oak case was wider than deep, it had a metal bedplate with the word Zonophone cast into it, an original crank, and was untouched--not even Gojo which so many people on this Forum like. It was a rear-mount machine, and therein lies what puzzled me and what kept me back from the next bid. The decal in the front was in beautiful shape. On the back was the small Universal Talking Machine Co logo. Here's what puzzles me. The back bracket, which was clearly a Zonophone bracket (tonearm and the right reproducer all good, also a nice all-brass horn), the back bracket was screwed right over the logo. Two round-headed screws--not the lugs like one sees on a Victor machine--held the bracket in place right on top of the decal. I looked to the front to see if it had originally been a front-mount machine. No, no sign of any tampering whatsoever. Am I to conclude that perhaps this is a transitional machine and it came out of the factory that way?

Stephen_Madara
Victor III
Personal Text: www.glassphonohorns.com

Re: Zonophone--me the underbidder

Post by Stephen_Madara »

here is a photo from the intertique website and it is just like the one you are describing.
Attachments
13313401_246442799053591_1321596876_o.jpg
13313401_246442799053591_1321596876_o.jpg (251.36 KiB) Viewed 2054 times

downsouth
Victor III

Post by downsouth »

This placement of the backbracket over the rear decal is normal for Zonophones. I have what i believe is a Concert done the same way. What was the final bid price?

Regards, Wes

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Not quite what I described. The bracket was right on top of the back decal. You could barely see it. I wrote earlier that I looked for indications of a front mount machine. I thought the horn bracket was screwed to the wood as is the case with my Vic E. But it now looks to me (in my brief internet search), at least for some models, that the horn support is attached to the metal bedplate under the platter and not to the oak case. I wonder if the machine started out as a front-mount and then sometime later someone converted it to a rear mount.

Let me research this some more. The model you illustrate is different from the one I bid on. I will try to locate a photo and post it here. I'm afraid this will need to wait until tomorrow.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I wish every collector had someone they could really trust. Someone they could call and ask those questions without fear of losing out on a lead. I would have given the same advice as Wes. It's normal to find rear mount Zonophones with the back bracket over the decal. I think the thread author was describing a machine with a oak framed metal deck with "Zonophone" as part of the casting. Stephen's photo shows a Zonophone with wood deck under the turntable. I believe the machines with the metal cast decks are worth more than the later Zonophones with wood decks that were more influenced by Victor.

Jerry Blais

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Here are two photos. Isn't that knob on the left to tighten down on a metal horn support? The back bracket, tone arm, soundbox, and brass horn were 100% Zonophone. I'm not interested in modified machines, and the fact that the back decal was nearly 100% covered by the bracket bothered me led me to think that it was a later addition. But then, I ask myself, What are the chances that all these hard-to-come-by Zonophone parts would be used in a second marriage? Perhaps it occurred a long time ago. Or this is just par for the course for a Zonophone. No picture of the back bracket. It sold for $990 with no buyer's premium, just add 6% for sales tax.
Attachments
fi53.cgi.jpg
fi53.cgi.jpg (34.87 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
fi52.cgi.jpg
fi52.cgi.jpg (15.16 KiB) Viewed 1947 times

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Looks just like the one I have, this is the real thing. These machines were sold by around 1905 and it was an easy way sell their front mount machines now as back mounts.
Attachments
z-grand_1.jpg
z-grand_1.jpg (56.15 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
z-grand_2.jpg
z-grand_2.jpg (69.03 KiB) Viewed 1931 times

downsouth
Victor III

Post by downsouth »

The machine pictured is 100% correct. The knob you are referring to is the speed control. If you had removed the turntable, you would have seen a slot toward the rear in the casting. This is to accommodate a support for a front mount configuration. As far as the selling price, that seems to be about right +/- for this type machine these days. I also agree with Jerry that it would be good to have someone you could call to help backup your thoughts on a purchase you are not familiar with. I did that very thing several years ago when I purchased my Opera and also recently when I purchased a Columbia BS Coinop machine. It helps to get a little advise so you don't have regrets later on after you have walked away.

Regards, Wes

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Thanks, everyone. Appreciate the input. My opponent appeared to be going non-stop. Well, as a standup comedian once comment: "Well, you can't have everything. Where would you put it?"

downsouth
Victor III

Post by downsouth »

"Where would you put it" isn't usually a phonograph collectors thought. Its usually, " Buy it and find a place for it later". As long as the Wife approves!

Regards, Wes