VE-330 Question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tnodo
Victor Jr

VE-330 Question

Post by tnodo »

Hello. I am going to look at an electric 330 in great condition tonight. Can anyone tell me what the correct reproducer would be on this model?
Also is the fact that there are only around 460 of these made make it desirable or is it the same as a wound -330.

Thanks for the help.
Attachments
ve-330.jpg
ve-330.jpg (9.08 KiB) Viewed 2564 times

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: VE-330 Question

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

It came with a Victrola No. 2 Reproducer. (Source: Look for the Dog - book)

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

According to "Look For The Dog", there were 478 electric 330's made. These "humpback" models were not very poplar when new and not very popular now.
A very hard sell.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

I think the reason most collector's shy away from consoles is they take up too much room. And with these humpback models, you can't even use the top to display small machines.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

According to stories of the day, housewife's didn't like these "humpbacks" because a nice vase of flowers or whatever....could not be placed on the top; a common practice of the day

This whole design was a complete flop for Victor sales and dealers hated them.

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

phonogal wrote:I think the reason most collector's shy away from consoles is they take up too much room. And with these humpback models, you can't even use the top to display small machines.
I never understood why people would put a phonograph on top of a phonograph. I like to be able to play my machines and having one buried under another would mean having to find a place to put the one on top every time I wanted to play the one on the bottom.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

bigshot wrote:
phonogal wrote:I think the reason most collector's shy away from consoles is they take up too much room. And with these humpback models, you can't even use the top to display small machines.
I never understood why people would put a phonograph on top of a phonograph. I like to be able to play my machines and having one buried under another would mean having to find a place to put the one on top every time I wanted to play the one on the bottom.
I like playing mine as well. You just have to make use of the space that is available. Some have more space to work with than others. Sometimes I just can't pass up a machine even if I know it will be a challenge to find a place for it. But it's all good. To each his own.

tnodo
Victor Jr

Post by tnodo »

Thank you for your help all. Im picking it up tonight. It is an odd style but I cant help myself. This will be the only console Ill get so might as well make it a good one.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

Of course,as I read in "The Fabulous Phonograph,"If you had a Victrola you were not encouraged to put a vase of flowers on it."You certainly couldn't with those "Humpbacks"! :lol: edisonplayer

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

tnodo wrote: It is an odd style but I cant help myself. This will be the only console Ill get so might as well make it a good one.
If that's the case....you may want to be patient and wait for a better example of a Victrola to come along... ;).