USlakeside
Victor III

Featured Phonograph № 45

Post by USlakeside »

Make: Pathé
Model: Royal
Year(s) Made: ?
Original Cost: ?
Case/Cabinet Size:10" wide, 7 ¾" deep, 10" tall with the lid.
Turntable/Mandrel: Standard two minute plus "Salon" size cylinders
Reproducer/Sound-Box: REX
Motor: Probably single spring.
Horn Dimensions: Spun Aluminum
Current Value: $600-1200?

I bought this machine from a nice woman in maybe 1999? I was in Paris, and she ran a tiny shop full of European phonographs. Maybe someone knows her. She was very excited a young collector wanted a machine and she gave me the machine for next to nothing and included a salon sized cylinder too. I carried this back on the plane! Security was not happy. Its a very clean example, but I don't know much about the machine. Any input?
Attachments
15.jpg
14.jpg
13.jpg
12.jpg
11.jpg
10.jpg
9.jpg
8.jpg
7.jpg
6.jpg

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Featured Phonograph № 45

Post by JohnM »

Beautiful machine! I had a very similar model that played the standard and 'Inter' cylinders as yours does, and also used the 'Systeme Verite' reproducer/horn carriage like yours, except mine had an aluminum reproducer. It was in a plainer finger-jointed case without any decal.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Great machine! I love the quality of construction with the Pathé cylinder machines. Jerry Blais

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Very nice machine, thanks for taking the time to share!

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

USlakeside,

That's a very nice Pathé machine! Thanks a lot for sharing.
Do you happen to know the address to that shop?

Paal.

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

Hi Paal1994,

I don't recall, this was in maybe 1999? I could sit down and do some serious Googling, but I have no idea where to start.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

USLakeside, that's a very attractive machine in very good condition. That model is among the most desireable Pathé cylinder machines imho.

Regarding airport security, I don't think I've met a one of those people that ever had a clue about anything phonographic.

Last summer I brought onto the plane some of the more valuable parts of some of the machines I was having shipped to Europe, mainly reproducers including an Edison K, two diamond disc, one Edisonic, an M, two diamond A's, a diamond B, some C's and H's and a Victor Exhibition. In addition I had about a dozen wax cylinders. Knowing this could be problematic I brought a few pictures of machines along to help explain. The girls running the scanners in both Fargo and Minneapolis had to get a supervisor and they dusted the inside of my carryon with that explosive detecting cloth and thoroughly examined each item, (fortunately wearing gloves). When I got to Amsterdam the young man running the scanner had me detained a short time waiting for a supervisor. The supervisor who looked to be in his 60s immediately recognized the cylinders for what they were and understood very quickly what the reproducers were for. Nothing was damaged in the process. :|