when is one full!?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: when is one full!?

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Victrolacollector, that's quite in contrast with the motto of your user's profile! ;)

I really understand your point, though. However, I regularly deal with a gentleman who owns a used record shop. He has no interest in 78s as they're too heavy for his shelves, and also most of the kids don't even know what they are and would break them while going through. So, when he's forced to buy batches of 78s because they're offered to him as a one-piece deal together with 33s and 45s, he then offers me in return cases of mixed 78 records at a token price, to which I have a very hard time to resist. The curiosity of listening to what is recorded on the surface plays a great role, but also knowing that the records would be dumped the next day takes its toll on me. I'm really fond of records and I think they're nice and amusing, just looking at their labels arouses sympathy in me, and the thought that they will be dumped saddens me terribly. :(

One weird thing that I've noticed, to which I really force myself to resist, is the tendency to buy some type of records just because I know <<where I can store them>>. This happens preminently because I store most of my records in wooden cases that I manufacture. Some cases are for the records "of the fifties", another one is for - say - military tunes. You can be flooded by records of the fifties in Italy: they are overabundant, they suck most of the times, and in most cases I receive them by relatives/friends/acquaintances for free. So the cases marked "50es" are basically always overflowing. Contrarywise, military records are scarce in Italy and the good ones (especially sung records of fascist era songs) are highly collected for historical reasons and are really hard to find in the wild, so there's always plenty of room in the "military" box. Well, I caught myself leaving behind a perhaps good record of the 50es because <<those damned cases are always full>> and at the same time bringing home some perhaps mediocre band-music record because <<it will easily be stored among the military stuff>>. :lol: That's a tendency that I really have to keep under control!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

When is one full!?

When one is dead.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

gramophone-georg wrote:When is one full!?

When one is dead.

indeed well my body tried this year with giving me a liver infection but i'm still here
as far as being full well still buying stuff so not full yet (if ever!!)
new aditions are a klingsor tabletop lots of bottles from the 18th, 19th aned 20th century from an old wine shop of same date (some full!!) and a lioret no4 cylinder
upcoming are a WWI record box for my decca trench and an 75mm (inert) french artillery shell from WWI so my bucket list is becomming smaller!!
SAM_0511.JPG
SAM_0515.JPG
$_85.JPG
$_85 (1).JPG
tino

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

oh! and how can i forget my vacuum cleaner for my phono room! a 1910 star vacuum cleaner
SAM_0502.MP4
(30.4 MiB) Downloaded 1574 times
tino

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

when is one full??
til there's no more room to stack!! :lol:
SAM_0929.JPG
SAM_0926.JPG
SAM_0930.JPG
SAM_0934.JPG

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Bah, I am still seeing floor space! LOTS of opportunity there! :D
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I have over fifty Edison home and standards. My storage space was running out till my neighbor offered me two metal storage racks that will hold more than I have racked up now. To say the least I am done with standards and homes and will be going on to gems and triumphs I do not want to clutter my living room with more than six machines not all are Edison's.. Tom B

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

For me, if I can't appreciate the individual machine or cannot operate it because I cannot reach the operating parts, then I need to downsize or find more places to put the machines. That said, I love a room full of all different horns and machines. My wife gave me a room for my talking machines and my musical instruments, but one has made it's way into the bedroom, three in the living room and one in the breezeway, so I think that I am pretty near full, but always one short.

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

yes i'm still at it and still not dead (yet!) eventhough i added rheumatism to my growing list of ailments (i even seem to collect those!) eventhough its getting fuller it is getting to be more cosy than it used to be it is starting to look like a real nostalgic attic
SAM_0984.JPG
tino

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I was going to convert a empty bedroom to a display room but my grandson and his father had a blow out and I took him back in after he had moved out. There goes the display room. I was going to set up a display of all the Edison standard and homes. I guess it will have to wait . I am starting to run out of room in my garage to store them safely. I have a bunch in the house that I listen to but I would like to set up a display room. Tom B
Attachments
IMG_1913.JPG
IMG_1912.JPG
IMG_1911.JPG
IMG_1910.JPG
IMG_1908.JPG