FOR SALE: New Columbia 20th Century (6" long) cylinder - $90

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
PeterF
Victor IV

FOR SALE: New Columbia 20th Century (6" long) cylinder - $90

Post by PeterF »

Hi –

We are now ready to move forward with the creation of a new durable reproduction of the Columbia 20th Century 6” long 3-minute cylinder record. Norman Bruderhofer of Phono Works Germany, aka Berlin Phonograph Works (http://www.phonoworks.com), has agreed to produce one. His reputation is excellent and his skills are well known and proven, so this is a great opportunity.

Here are the details, for those of you who are interested in ordering this unique offering.

- To break even, Norman will need to make and sell at least 10 copies of this cylinder. We have already found that number of potential buyers here on the forum alone, and I will also be sending each of them a reminder directly today with instructions on how to order.

- Cost will be $90 (USD) each, plus $8 for registered airmail worldwide postage from Norman’s shop in Germany. Delivery time is typically 10-14 business days from there to the US. (By the way, be sure to see Norman's site for details on adding cylinders from his existing catalog to the package, to obtain free shipping.)

- After much discussion, the consensus is to use the following selection for the musical content:

Barnacle Bill, The Sailor
Hoagy Carmichael and his Orchestra (with BixBeiderbecke, Benny Goodman, Tom Dorsey, Gene Krupa)
Victor 25371
Recorded in NYC on 5/21/30

- Although the 6” cylinder format passed from use well before the date of this recording, which also was obviously never issued on any cylinder, the intent of this exercise is to create something fun to use as a demonstration of the format and which will bear repeated listenings by varied audiences. As such, even though it is a novelty song, the musical content is top notch with nice hot jazz solos, while the lyrical content will draw the attention of children and adults who aren’t into old music.

- We’ll use the following transfer of the Hoagy disc as source, with the frequency response adjusted slightly to compensate for the limitations of the cylinder format:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg39PhZ9izc

Norman tells me that he will even be licensing the use of the music, so this is a fully legal production.

- The cylinder will come in a proper 6” long fitted cylinder storage box, with a lid labelled to identify the selection. The box will have a decorative label, probably derived from the original Columbia design, but reflecting its modern genesis. For example, changing the label to now read “Twenty-First Century”

- To order, please send your $90 plus $8 shipping (USD) to Norman directly via PayPal “Friends and Family” at the account (email address) shown on his website. I will also state his email here, but altered to avoid spam scanners of the forum: records (little “a” in a circle, signifying “at”) phonoworks (dot) com.

- IMPORTANT: Norman must receive payment in US Dollars, so be certain to make settings on BOTH the sending and receiving fields to read USD. Otherwise PayPal will add fees through unfavorable conversion rates.

- At the time of payment, also send an email to the same address containing the following information:

* Your name
* Your shipping address
* Your phone number
* “This is an order for (xx) copies of the reproduced Columbia 20th Century 6” cylinder record of Barnacle Bill, The Sailor”
* Time and date of your PayPal payment
* Any other pertinent information about your order

- If you are still undecided about any of this, it might help to keep in mind several ideas:

* Original Columbia 20th Century records are fragile, prone to mold, usually have boring content, and when in usable condition cost more than $90. These new records have none of those disadvantages.
* Like most other reproduced cylinder records, production will be extremely limited, and once they are gone, they are gone. Thus they are likely to become extremely collectible in their own right. He can make up to maybe 18 in the first batch, but any subsequent batch will also need a 10-cylinder minimum to take place.
* If you do not currently own a Columbia Graphophone that will play the long cylinders, keep in mind that they do turn up frequently, and you may very well own one someday. And at that time you may wish you had bought one of these records.
* These would make excellent gifts for your collector pals who already have a suitable Graphophone but no 6” records for it.

Let’s get the orders in to Norman as quickly as we can, please, so he can get started. He will begin as soon as the 10th order is received. End-to end production time is about 2-3 months, but obviously the result will be worth the wait. Of course, if for some reason ten total orders don’t materialize (do NOT let this happen!), he will refund everything he has received.

If you want to post here on the forum when you have placed your order, it may help motivate the others. As said above, he can make more than 10 but there will also be a cutoff at 18 or less, so act now to assure you get yours.

Ok, kids, let's go!
Last edited by PeterF on Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: FOR SALE: New Columbia 20th Century (6" long) cylinder -

Post by Phonofreak »

Is there another way to send payment? I thought I mail this to you and send the money to Norm. I don't use pay pal, and never will.
Harvey Kravitz

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Ok, folks, contact me by PM if for some reason you are unable to use PayPal, and we can likely make an alternative arrangement.

talvalewis
Victor Jr

Post by talvalewis »

Count me out. I don't like the title

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

I can't either because I don't have a player for it. :(

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

talvalewis wrote:Count me out. I don't like the title
With apologies to Peter and others who enjoy this selection, I have to agree with talvalewis. I've been contemplating purchase of one of these cylinders and waiting to see the title. I have several Graphophones in my collection capable of playing the 20th Century cylinders and only a couple of nice playing original 20th Century cylinders to play on them. But...sorry...this selection played on a pre-1910 Graphophone just doesn't work for me. But that's me! :) A good old ragtime selection would have been great.

Doug

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I heard from Norman this morning and learned that the glow in the dark aspect won't be possible...so I removed that from the original posting.

Orders have already come in, so I hope this isn't a problem for anyone. It was admittedly only a gimmick, just for fun, after all.

Sorry for any inconvenience!

Kent in KC
Victor II

Post by Kent in KC »

Money sent today.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

If I had a player that played the Columbia 6'long I'd want Bert Williams singing "The Mississippi Stoker" or some other title.edisonplayer

Steve Levi
Victor II

Post by Steve Levi »

Payment sent.