P1170004.jpg
P1170006.jpg
P1170008.jpg
P1170008.jpg (72.35 KiB) Viewed 883 times

larryh
Victor IV

Re: Check out this wild thing

Post by larryh »

Is the use of those metal trims something common on european designs? They some how give me the impression like another poster that it may be someone's idea of a well made local cabinet?

Larry

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

ha... thanks again dean.

and that's definitely an interesting cabinet, although I really don't think anything there is Pathé but for the reproducer. I haven't seen that more or less standard european brake on an original Pathé machine before, nor have I ever encountered a Pathé machine with any sort of tapering tonearm (which this one appears to have), or with such ornate decorative work with the non-attached columns and the metal filigree (if it can be called that). I'd be curious to see a better shot of the tonearm/reproducer assembly. not to put down the machine, it's certainly unusual, and that id plate is intriguing, but I just don't think it's a Pathé.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

OK, sorry for not responding sooner, other pressing issues here at home. Anyway, here's the tonearm, as Brian says, there is a slight taper. I hope these pics are visible to all. If not, how do I post them directly??

And the motor. I still haven't yanked it out to see if the spring is broken or just unhooked..

I did hear back from the museum in Belgium and they sent this picture. It is a .pdf and I couldn't figure out how to load it so, yes, I admit it, I snapped a pic of it on my screen. The pic of the gramophone is not the one I have though.

So, this may be a crapo, but if so, the fanciest, best made one I've seen. Someone went to alot of trouble for the small amt I paid for it. Also, Van Goitsenhoven did sell gramophones as shown in the catalog. In fact, he was an early cinematographer so may have known someone from Pathé?? I'm still wondering what I've got here.. Steve

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

I just saw that the Pathé duplex machine I posted pics of was there, on the 2nd pg of this post. I forgot to sign in when I put it in and it waited for approval before being posted (thanks David). The tonearms on it look pretty close to what is on the fancy schmancy one I posted here- the brake is close too. Dang, I wish this one had a stinkin' decal on it (and not the green fake HMV one!)