Victor IV

Featured Phonograph № 131 - Opera House Phonograph

Post by melvind »

Make: Home Made one of a kind
Model: n/a
Serial #: none
Year(s) Made: late 1920s to early 1030s
Original Cost: n/a
Case/Cabinet Size: machine: 14 ¼" wide, 12 ½" high, 18 ⅛" deep - base: 15" wide, 31 ¼" high, 18 ¾" deep
Turntable/Mandrel: 10" with red felt
Reproducer/Sound-Box: HMV No. 4
Motor: HMV ? - Can someone help identify it from the pictures?
Horn Dimensions: Internal horn
Reproduction Parts: n/a
Current Value:
Interesting Facts: This machine is built to look like it is an Opera House. It has very good quality phonograph works inside and sounds incredible when played.

This machine was found in a Seattle Craigslist listing in February 2017. A very interesting machine with a very mysterious past that is totally unknown. The motor is old so it is an original phonograph of some kind. An odd hint is that there is Willamette Week newspaper folded inside under the motor (I guess to catch oil and grease) from Portland in 1988. Must be the last time someone worked on it or something. Who knew is had been in Portland! I am fairly confident it is much older than that, but who knows. My guess (based on mine an others ideas) is that the whole thing is at least 80 years old based on the British parts. Definitely a one-off.

When I picked it up the motor was very sluggish and it would not play a record. On the way back to Oregon from Seattle I dropped it by the shop of forum member Cliff (CDBPDX). I got home a couple of hours later and he called and told me it was ready and working great. He and his wife were going to visit the Oregon coast the next day and brought the motor by and we got it all together and working. Thanks Cliff!

Perhaps one day someone will be able to identify it. At least we know it has been on the west coast for 30 years!

This link is to the Craiglist thread on the forum when this machine originally showed up. The Craislist listing is long gone. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 14&t=28879
Last edited by melvind on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.

melvind
Victor IV

Re: Featured Phonograph № 131 - Opera House Phonograph

Post by melvind »

More pictures.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Lovely machine. I particularly like the "hidden" crank escutcheon.

Please make a video!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Who knows why certain machines appeal to certain people, but this Opera House phonograph really appeals to me. Maybe it's because I like architecture; I don't know. But what a wonderful, interesting machine! :)

George P.

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

Bravissimo! A truly awesome phonograph from many perspectives! I am privileged to have seen it in action, the sound is bright and clear, everything you would hope for. Caruso sounded spectacular! Thanks!
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Very interesting machine!
Evidently the soundbox is HMV, but the arm does not look like an HMV, the HMVs have a different attachment interface to the motor board, and also the attachment to the soundbox looks unusual. The break is a generic part utilized in many many machines, mostly Swiss and German. The motor could be Swiss or German. HMV motors are normally stamped with HMV and a number, have you found any markings on it?

Given the very professional woodwork, I would guess it was made in Germany, more precisely in the Black Forest. There are some beautiful Black Forest gramophones fitted in colorful wooden Chalets, including moving parts like water wheels. For sure they had (and still have) the skill set to build such beauty.

Can you reach inside and find out if it actually has a real horn or only the wood frame? and how does it sound?

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

CarlosV wrote:Can you reach inside and find out if it actually has a real horn or only the wood frame? and how does it sound?
The screen material on the top of the machine does not come off, but when I look inside it appears to have a wooden horn mounted pointing up. I cannot tell if it a horn from an actual machine or one that was made for this purpose. The machine is very loud with wonderful sound. I did not touch the soundbox. It is fantastic sounding and plays both acoustic and orthophonic records equally well. I am amazed at the sound.

I will be posting a YouTube video as soon as I figure out to embed it correctly.

Dan
Last edited by melvind on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Dan,

What a very fascinating machine! Absolutely stunning in its detail. I can't imagine how much time and effort must have gone into its construction.

A true act of passion!

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Here is a YouTube video of the machine playing Enrico Caruso singing "O Sole Mio" recorded March 10, 1909 in New York.

I made this video with my phone so not the best fidelity. The machine sounds much better in person. I attempted to make a video with the lid open as well, but the phone seems to emphasize the soundbox sound which I don't hear live with the lid open.

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXQN9LvTVpE[/youtubehd]
Last edited by melvind on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

What an amazing machine! The workmanship is clearly top-notch. It must have taken someone ages to construct. The hidden crank escutcheon is brilliant.