Mystery instrument on "Whispering" - Paul Whiteman acoustic

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
benjaminh
Victor II

Re: Mystery instrument on "Whispering" - Paul Whiteman acous

Post by benjaminh »

Interesting, I too had always assumed this was a saw. I stand corrected!

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

The slide whistle was used more commonly than one might expect and by some of the greats as well as in novelty groups. The great Louis Armstrong plays it on the recording of "Buddy's Habit(s)" by the King Oliver band ca. 1923. He also plays it on "Who' Sit" by his Hot Five, recorded in June of 1926.

You can see it being played in this Youtube video of "Buddy's Habit" by the Peruna Jazzmen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbFy5wkl4V0

Jim

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Somewhere I remember seeing a photograph of Armstrong with a slide trumpet, which is essentially a soprano trombone. But the player has to have a trained embouchure to play it, whereas the slide whistle merely requires that the player blow into the instrument. In either case, one needs a good ear to play in tune!

Rastus10
Victor I

Post by Rastus10 »

From a January 2012 Cicada Club broadcast, at about 5:10, in what is otherwise a decently period-correct version of Whispering--doesn't quite sound like what's in the original recording, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm_qbcgvWVQ

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Henry wrote:Somewhere I remember seeing a photograph of Armstrong with a slide trumpet, which is essentially a soprano trombone. But the player has to have a trained embouchure to play it, whereas the slide whistle merely requires that the player blow into the instrument. In either case, one needs a good ear to play in tune!
It's the Creole Jazz Band photo, see:
Attachments
creole jazz band.jpg
creole jazz band.jpg (37.03 KiB) Viewed 1804 times

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Yep, that's the one---thanks, Carlos.

I'm not aware that Armstrong ever played the slide trumpet on a recording (or anywhere else, for that matter), however. If anyone knows otherwise, I'd like to hear about it.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Henry wrote: I'm not aware that Armstrong ever played the slide trumpet on a recording (or anywhere else, for that matter), however. If anyone knows otherwise, I'd like to hear about it.
There is a recording of the Creole Jazz Band - Sobbin' Blues - in which someone plays what sounds like an ocarina or a slide whistle, certainly not anything that sounds like a trombone. The discographies claim that it is Armstrong who plays it. You can hear it on this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONDr4zau53c

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

That'a a slide whistle, starting at 0:35 and ending at 1:00. Elsewhere Armstrong is playing second trumpet/cornet(?), his usual assignment in the KOCJB.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Here's another enjoyable one for the slide whistle crowd, Tell Me Little Gypsy by Art Hickman's outfit : https://youtu.be/u9JaGxVlUn8

bfinan11
Victor I

Post by bfinan11 »

Whatever the instrument turns out to be, I've found more of it.

Max Dolin's Orchestra uses one in its recording of Cielito Lindo / La Golondrina (Victor 19329, 11/22/1921).