Phonograph Art nouveau

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Phonograph Art nouveau

Post by CarlosV »

The Nazi fables are amusing, but the fact is that Germany was the largest trade partner of Brazil from the turn of the 20th century up to the start of the WWII. Moreover,German Parlophon installed a factory there with the first Brazilian-pressed Odeon record in 1912. Parlophon imported machines to Brazil as well, so it is not surprising to find German gramophones from this period there. This particular one evidently was very well kept, as its condition is great, besides the imposing design.

My conspiracy theory for this machine is that it was carried by the deposed kaiser Wilhelm II when he escaped to Brazil, leaving his lookalike in Holland, as it is widely known today.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

CarlosV wrote: My conspiracy theory for this machine is that it was carried by the deposed kaiser Wilhelm II when he escaped to Brazil, leaving his lookalike in Holland, as it is widely known today.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andreas

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

CarlosV wrote:The Nazi fables are amusing, but the fact is that Germany was the largest trade partner of Brazil from the turn of the 20th century up to the start of the WWII. Moreover,German Parlophon installed a factory there with the first Brazilian-pressed Odeon record in 1912. Parlophon imported machines to Brazil as well, so it is not surprising to find German gramophones from this period there. This particular one evidently was very well kept, as its condition is great, besides the imposing design.

My conspiracy theory for this machine is that it was carried by the deposed kaiser Wilhelm II when he escaped to Brazil, leaving his lookalike in Holland, as it is widely known today.
I think you finally solved this mystery... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Andreas Gramophones wrote:I noticed the panels better, you are right, they are in three different shades, the most worn and deep is of silver color, this can be seen in the photo on the foot of the angel and in the thigh of the flautist and the violinist.
Nothing like asking who understands ... thanks Jerry for the comment.
Wow, looks great! Glad I could help, in a very small way, to increase its beauty!

US PHONO
Victor II

Post by US PHONO »

CarlosV wrote:My conspiracy theory for this machine is that it was carried by the deposed kaiser Wilhelm II when he escaped to Brazil, leaving his lookalike in Holland, as it is widely known today.
If this were true............the winder would have been on the other side!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

US PHONO wrote:
CarlosV wrote:My conspiracy theory for this machine is that it was carried by the deposed kaiser Wilhelm II when he escaped to Brazil, leaving his lookalike in Holland, as it is widely known today.
If this were true............the winder would have been on the other side!
I think the Kaiser would have employed a servant to wind it for him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I really love European phonographs like this one. To me, they have so much class unlike the usual cookie cutter machines. I live near Seattle, WA, and over the years, very nice European horned machines came my way by either antique stores,craigslist and private sales. Nothing I have comes close to what you have. Enjoy your machine.
Harvey Kravitz

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Post by Andreas Gramophones »

Phonofreak wrote:I really love European phonographs like this one. To me, they have so much class unlike the usual cookie cutter machines. I live near Seattle, WA, and over the years, very nice European horned machines came my way by either antique stores,craigslist and private sales. Nothing I have comes close to what you have. Enjoy your machine.
Harvey Kravitz

Wow, very happy with your comment, I already knew it was something special and desirable but I did not imagine it would be so rare. Happy with the purchase, now is putting it in a prominent place in the collection and enjoy this wonder!
The operation is very satisfactory, I did not have to do anything besides lubricate.

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Post by Andreas Gramophones »

I forgot to show the player, I do not remember where someone else charged me the photo ...
Attachments
DSC01545.JPG

stevel
Victor II

Post by stevel »

The panels remind me very much of WMF products, it would be worth examining them closely to see if they are marked
http://www.ascasonline.org/windowFEBBRA105.html

Steve