Odd items found inside phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Re: Odd items found inside phonographs

Post by Andreas Gramophones »

I had some good surprises, the first was this original engine backing from Victor to transport the machine, a gramophone Victor IV
Attachments
vic.jpg
apoio 2.jpg
bloco.jpg

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

Funny you mentioned this.. Last week I found all this inside a DD player under the drawers and in the horn compartment..
Attachments
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I wonder what units he was referring to in 1931?

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

I recently came across this piece of paper w/watermarks in such pristine condition, I just assumed it was a few years old and forgot about it.Now that I sit down and read it, I find it probably is original. Date 10/20/10 as in 1910! I can only find that G.C. Aschbach did exist from around 1870-1900 (obviously later due to the date here) It was billed as the "Largest and Oldest Music House in the Lehigh Valley". It was found in an Edison DD C-19.

Are there any links or articles on the "Specialty Prepared Catalogue" showing a list of 500. If so i may need to marry this up with the catalogue.
Attachments
2019-02-08 13.13.42.jpg
Watermarks on the back
Watermarks on the back
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

DGPros wrote:I recently came across this piece of paper w/watermarks in such pristine condition, I just assumed it was a few years old and forgot about it.Now that I sit down and read it, I find it probably is original. Date 10/20/10 as in 1910! I can only find that G.C. Aschbach did exist from around 1870-1900 (obviously later due to the date here) It was billed as the "Largest and Oldest Music House in the Lehigh Valley". It was found in an Edison DD C-19.

Are there any links or articles on the "Specialty Prepared Catalogue" showing a list of 500. If so i may need to marry this up with the catalogue.

The C-19 was introduced in the Spring of 1919, so it's odd to find a paper from almost a decade earlier stuck inside. Could have been done by an earlier collector maybe?

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

In my oak VV-XI, I found a letter stuffed inside the horn, a small crank, a 1967 brochure for a TV antenna, and an advertisement clipped from a newspaper for “Frick’s Phonographs” which was an early parts supplier who apparently made dubious repro parts. Right now I only have a photo of the crank and the ad. The crank actually fits my Columbia q quite well.
Attachments
6300B671-4B0F-451C-955E-CE00E5BCFF53.jpeg
00991ABA-5951-4291-AF23-69CFA7BAB87C.jpeg

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

DGPros wrote:I recently came across this piece of paper w/watermarks in such pristine condition, I just assumed it was a few years old and forgot about it.Now that I sit down and read it, I find it probably is original. Date 10/20/10 as in 1910! I can only find that G.C. Aschbach did exist from around 1870-1900 (obviously later due to the date here) It was billed as the "Largest and Oldest Music House in the Lehigh Valley". It was found in an Edison DD C-19.
Googled "G.C. Aschbach" and got this link: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cate ... 26_Company. Many other hits for this name as well. Hamilton Street has been undergoing major changes in the last dozen or so years, leaving few of the older buildings on the streetscape. The Aschbach site is a remnant.

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

I tried googling it, but didn't see that. Great info. thanks. I do believe a previous owner (collector) may have stuck it in there. If I remember this purchase, the owner did have a handful of machines at one time.
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

I wonder if Frick Phonographs is still around? I know they were listed in the early Compleat Talking Machine.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

zenith82 wrote:

The C-19 was introduced in the Spring of 1919, so it's odd to find a paper from almost a decade earlier stuck inside. Could have been done by an earlier collector maybe?
I don’t think Edison Discs were available as early as 1910. This must be for cylinders.