Featured Phonograph No. 132- Emerson Co. Lamp Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
StL Bill
Victor I

Featured Phonograph No. 132- Emerson Co. Lamp Phonograph

Post by StL Bill »

Make: Emerson Phonograph Co
Model: "Electrola" Lamp Phonograph,"A Combination of Electrolier and Phonograph operated by electricity"
Serial No.:101
Years Made:, First announced to the trade in 1915, Patent information is from 1916
Original Cost: Unknown
Case/Cabinet Size: Case is solid brass, Measuring 15" at the base and 37 ½" high including the shade.
Turntable: 10"
Reproducer: Unmarked Generic reproducer
Motor: General Electric Motor
Horn Dimension: 2" opening up by the light bulb where the sound comes out.
Reproduction Parts: The harp to hold the shade was missing, a reproduction was fabricated. Shade is reproduction to match the period ad that I have shown.
Current Value: I have seen only two of these lamps, at one time I owned both. Not really enough market sales to establish a market value.
Interesting Facts: I have been fascinated with Lamp Phonographs for many years and thought that I had seen all the different ones that were available in the short period of time that these were fashionable. I have quite a few in my collection, including two Lampographs that were made here in St. Louis. I was quite surprised when I first discovered this lamp a couple of years ago. Soon after buying this one, Ron Haring came up with another one that I purchased. The serial number on my first one was 101, while the second serial number was 108. I assume that they started at 100. If anyone out there is aware of another one, I would be interested in knowing. I have shown a copy of an original article that I found online from some magazine, I have not been able to verify which magazine that it came from. I would think that it was possibly Talking Machine World, but as of yet I have not verified this. I did find the original patent listed in the Talking Machine World. It is in the June 15, 1916 edition, page 98. It also appears in the Dec., 1916 edition, page 98. The patent number is #1,185,987, issued to George E. Emerson. In the patent application, they explain how the sound waves passing through the heat generated by the light bulb increases and diffuses the sound waves just like a horn. If you do a word search for "Emerson" in the Talking Machine World for 1916, you will find several articles mentioning this lamp including the Patent drawings.The term "Electrola" and the description that I used in the Model information came directly from an article in Talking Machine World. The fact that I have seen so few of these my 42 years of collecting makes me believe that it was a short-lived product by the Emerson Phonograph Corp. Once again, if anyone else is aware of another one of these, please let me know. I would be very interested in the serial number.As you can see, the bottom domed piece lifts up and locks in place when it is rotated. This gives access to the turntable and tone arm. It is mostly solid brass, with some pieces being steel. The brass trim pieces are soldered on. I hope you enjoy this unusual phonograph.
DSC04405 (Medium).JPG
DSC04406 (768x1024).jpg
DSC04407 (1024x768).jpg
DSC04409 (1024x768).jpg
DSC04412 (Medium).JPG
DSC04412 (Medium).JPG
DSC04413 (768x1024).jpg
DSC04417 (1024x768).jpg
DSC04410 (Medium).JPG
DSC03545 (Medium).JPG
Last edited by StL Bill on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

StL Bill
Victor I

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 132- Emerson Co. Lamp Phonograp

Post by StL Bill »

More Pictures
The attachment DSC04418 (768x1024).jpg is no longer available
The attachment DSC04419 (1024x768).jpg is no longer available
DSC04419 (1024x768).jpg
DSC04423 (1024x768).jpg
DSC03544 (Medium).JPG
DSC04414 (Medium).JPG
lamp2.tif
emerson lamp phono - 1916.jpg
Last edited by StL Bill on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

WOW, Really nice, never heard of one before. I'm jealous.

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

Bill,

A beautiful show piece.
Thank you for showing so many of the details.

Congratulations,

Gene

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Thank you very much for presenting this rare and interesting phonograph. Congratulations and respect for your beautiful restoration, it looks like fresh from the store.

Andreas

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

Very unusual - thanks for posting these great photos !!

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Love it- would be great if you could get someone to blow you a glass horn to fit under the shade.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Very impressive. I've never seen one before. You have some fascinating machines. Jerry Blais

StL Bill
Victor I

Post by StL Bill »

[quote="estott"]Love it- would be great if you could get someone to blow you a glass horn to fit under the shade.[/quote

I actually have ordered a early gas style , bell shaped glass shade with a 4" fitter ( that is the part that is by the bulb with the 3 set-screws). I believe that based on the description in the original article this is what was in this 4" end of the lamp.

Bill

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Excellent! We shall have to have some videos of it in action, when you get the glass bell in.

Bill