Latest Addition - Melba and Pedistal

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Starkton
Victor IV

Re: Latest Addition - Melba and Pedistal

Post by Starkton »

The black paint on Mario's D.G.A.G. Melba surprised me much, because in the D.G.A.G. catalogue of August 1905 only the olive green variant was offered for sale. Maybe the black variant was an export model for other countries in the supply area of the D.G.A.G.? Maybe the ebonized version was discontinued in Germany before August 1905?

While Mario's gramophone shares the same early motor, I note a few differences in the casing which I haven't seen on other Melba's. Firstly, a recess in the circular opening of the lid (see arrow). Secondly, a missing recess for the motor in the casing (see arrow). This could explain a later date of manufacture compared to my machine, nicely matching with the higher serial number on Mario's Melba.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

There is also different motor version (without fiber gear) that also has a far more advanced pitch control. A barrel brake like the early Vic. 6.

This model, I have pics of, also has the white celluloid disc with angel on the top left corner (like the stand).

I also know of at least one stand in a brown finish just like my ebonized one.

mariof
Victor I

Post by mariof »

Stephan,

Thanks for the information. Incidentally I am searching for an original crank for my Melba.

Regards,
Mario

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Someone had glued an attractive D.G.A.G. shellac medallion of c. 1900 on the lid of Mario's Melba, just on top of the recess for the "Writing Angel" celluloid plate. Was it to replace a missing plate? Anyway, it nicely corresponds with the ebonised case.

I have another copy of it, 5 cm in diameter, showing you the heretofore invisible backside picturing Nipper.

mariof
Victor I

Post by mariof »

So curiosity got the better of me so I decided to remove the medallion. I was somewhat surprised to what I found underneath.... NOTHING! No recess or sign of any other badge having ever been there! The medallion was simply stuck on top with older double sided tape.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

The "Writing Angel" plate was discontinued at some time. My "German Melba" of 1904-05 and my "Salon Apparat De Luxe" of 1908 still have it. Perhaps "Melbas", and other models sold outside the Deutsche Grammophon A.G. market, lost it before that, otherwise your early motor wouldn't fit into the picture.

Here is another "Melba" without the plate, serial number 10031(!), later motor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGpiQWSi4

US PHONO
Victor II

Post by US PHONO »

Taking Mario's picture 1 post up as the standard of woodwork on all Melba's I have seen (well about 5), A friend sent me some pics of a "melba" auctioned this weekend in England. Any thoughts? My personal opinion is that its reproduced in the style of.
Attachments
fmel4.jpg
fmel2.jpg

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Out of curiosity; where was the Melba in England advertised for sale? It would have been great to know about it!

Thanks!

Garret

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

My olive green Monarch de Luxe No. 15b with Pathé soundbox on Pedestal No. II de Luxe (ebonised version)

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Starkton wrote:Here is another "Melba" without the plate, serial number 10031(!), later motor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGpiQWSi4
I must correct myself. It has the "Writing Angel" plate.