Acronyms... FYI

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Acronyms... FYI

Post by Curt A »

I'm well aware of the trend to use acronyms in online posts, emails and texts... BUT, please don't use them when posting on the Forum or looking for or listing items for sale. Sometimes, it's confusing enough trying to decipher what someone is asking or looking for without having to consult an online jargon dictionary to see if someone "Wants To Buy" - WTB, or "Is Looking For" - ILF an item. Maybe it's just me, but I hate acronyms because they can have many different meanings... just say what it is you are trying to do... and remember to "KISS" (keep it simple stupid).
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Frankia
Victor I

Re: Acronyms... FYI

Post by Frankia »

I very seldom post on the forum, but am a constant and interested follower on a daily basis. However Curt's post has drawn me out of my self-imposed woodwork because I want to agree with him.
I've no doubt that people who use acronyms have no wish to confuse, but I'm afraid that's just what does happen, at least in my case.
There's also the added confusion of the two (at least) versions of English used on the forum - can't be helped and a sign of the forum's far reaching scope and success. However some abbreviations and acronyms add to the confusion issue. For instance in my neck of the woods (Ireland) we use the term soundbox, so the only mental avenue that opens up when one sees "repro" is "reproduction." It's only after having struggled to understand a message that doesn't quite make sense that it dawns on one that the abbreviation is meant to refer to a reproducer. And of course this example is just an abbreviation, not an acronym.
As for the acronyms themselves, I'm afraid I have to confess that some of them are just beyond me.
Great and interesting and all embracing forum though!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I'll chime in with a third vote for clear language. I'm occasionally amazed at how careless some folks can be when looking for an item or attempting to sell one. Is anyone really in that big a hurry? :)

Of course, it's no skin off my nose...

Best to all,
George P.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

If you think that people here abuse the acronyms, I would just invite my fellow forum members to peek on the chats that your kids type on their phones, and challenge you to decode them ...

Just an evidence of GGG (generational grammatical gap)

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

CarlosV wrote:If you think that people here abuse the acronyms, I would just invite my fellow forum members to peek on the chats that your kids type on their phones, and challenge you to decode them ...

I worked for the State of New York for 32 years, and we had so many acronyms that our office put out a printed list of them. It was single-spaced and 4-5 pages long!

George P.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

phonogfp wrote:
CarlosV wrote:If you think that people here abuse the acronyms, I would just invite my fellow forum members to peek on the chats that your kids type on their phones, and challenge you to decode them ...

I worked for the State of New York for 32 years, and we had so many acronyms that our office put out a printed list of them. It was single-spaced and 4-5 pages long!

George P.
I work for an automotive supplier...each year we receive a BOOK of site codes and acronyms...some are even acronyms of Japanese phrases :?

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

HisMastersVoice wrote:
phonogfp wrote:

George P.
I work for an automotive supplier...each year we receive a BOOK of site codes and acronyms...some are even acronyms of Japanese phrases :?
I feel your pain. I worked for a DOD contractor for many years and thought the acronyms were insane... then I moved to the telecom industry!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Here's one I like to use sometimes: DTFMOIWKY. Definition: "Do This For Me Or I Will Kill You". Obviously, it should be used only in a limited way.

That being said, I agree with Curt. OMG!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I also agree with Curt. In my view the only reason for using acronyms outside the workplace is laziness.

New Yorker
Victor Jr

Post by New Yorker »

I don't post here much, but I must say I agree. Many who visit forums like this one are new folks, trying to learn about this hobby. How annoying it is to locate a useful thread only to find some key point cloaked in acronym. I'm sure many of you have also found this phenomenon in the workplace. New hires trying their hardest to learn the ropes at a new job, only to be constantly thwarted by regulars speaking in the coded language of Acronym. In the critical first days of employment when first impressions count, the last thing a new hire needs is to be made to appear somewhat clueless. Sigh.