The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Faultless feet ??
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:41 pm 
Victor Jr
I have an Edison S19 diamond disc player that I am restoring and I have run into a problem that I was hoping someone could help me with.
The machine was in pretty rough shape, especially the casters (brand name: Faultless Feet) which look to have been gold plated. I could re-plate them but I have decided to guild them to match the caps. But, they were in such bad shape I had to take them apart. In doing so I found that that shaft that the wheel spins on was wound in cotton string. I am assuming this was done for a better fit and to hold lubricant. My problem is: How do I rewind the shaft or is there some other substitute fix that people use?

Post subject: Re: Faultless feet ??
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:55 pm 
Victor V
Needle Tins are Addictive
You may be in virgin territory with this, since I don't think most people disassemble their casters... but what do I know?

That being said, if I were going to attempt to rewind string around a shaft, I would put the shaft in a drill chuck and secure one end of the thread/string with glue. Then I would turn the chuck by hand and wind the thread onto the shaft... Before cutting the thread, I would secure the end of the thread with glue and once hardened cut it off...

Just a thought... never done this and no guarantees...

Otherwise, replace the existing shaft with a larger size if it is too sloppy... a cut off nail or other metal rod material should work...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Post subject: Re: Faultless feet ??
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:38 am 
Victor IV
I would replace the string with nylon or teflon tubing, slid over the pins. I find it hard to believe it was wrapped with cotton string, but I don't doubt your findings.