WANTED: Amberola III Lower shelf or tracing/photos of it...

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Wanted: Amberola III cabinet...

Post by fran604g »

OldRestorer wrote:I do not see any other numbers on the cabinet sorry...

Kirk
Thank you, Kirk.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Kirk,

I've been informed by experts, whose knowledge and experience I greatly respect, that my earlier post in which I indicated that all the early production cabinets were stamped with serial numbers corresponding to the mechanisms, was INCORRECT.

Apparently this characteristic wasn't something that pertained to ALL of the early Amberolas (and probably the Disc models as well), but was likely only applied to those cabinets produced at West Orange (there were several other off-site cabinet manufacturers contracted by the Edison company, too) and those cabinets probably wouldn't have been marked with corresponding serial numbers.

What this means is: IF you can find another mahogany Amberola III cabinet, then swapping your mechanism into it would still maintain the machine as historically correct.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused on the topic. :oops:

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

I was never worried about it but thank you for the info.
No one seems to have one anyway.. :roll:

Kirk
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

OldRestorer wrote: No one seems to have one anyway.. :roll:

Kirk

I'm not surprised. I saw this piece for sale as well, but wondered where one might find an original cabinet into which to drop a mechanism. After all, this is a fairly rare machine. Your best bet would probably be to cannibalize the legs and other parts from an A-150 cabinet. However, at some point, it will become more of a labor of love than anything else.

Regards,

Garret

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

Hey Garret,
Is the cabinet the same on the A-150? Or at least the bottom shelf and the legs?
I don't care about doing surgery but I want it to look as original as it can be..

Kirk

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

OldRestorer wrote:Hey Garret,
Is the cabinet the same on the A-150? Or at least the bottom shelf and the legs?
I don't care about doing surgery but I want it to look as original as it can be..

Kirk
The design of the bottom shelf is somewhat different. The III has rails on the sides and back of the shelf. The A-150 does not. Also, the crank hole is ~2 inches further back on the III, the motor mounts are in different places as is the woodwork on which the top grills mount. The A-150 also has a large additional hole drilled in the front, bottom of the cabinet into which the hardware is mounted to pivot the horn. There are other small differences that would have to be dealt with. Even if you went through all that, it would still be discernible that the combination was a cobble job. :monkey:

victorIIvictor
Victor II

Post by victorIIvictor »

Fran wrote, "IF you can find another mahogany Amberola III cabinet, then swapping your mechanism into it would still maintain the machine as historically correct."

Of course, because your Amberola III mechanism #793 matches the data plate #793 that is attached to the cabinet stamped 554, this means you have the original cabinet that went with your mechanism (albeit a cabinet manufactured FOR Edison, rather than by Edison. Thus, it would also be historically correct (and in my opinion, preferable) to have legs and a shelf made for your cabinet and finished to match. I say preferable because this would keep together the parts that have been together since the machine was offered for sale.

Just my two cents.

Best wishes, Mark

mark gaisser
Victor O

Post by mark gaisser »

OldRestorer wrote:Heyo,
I purchased an Amberola III but the legs were chopped :(
Would anyone have a cabinet? legs? that could get them to me in NY?
Shipping or maybe someone near me has one I can pick up...
I did talk to George but he only has a 3 legged one right now...

Thanks,
Kirk

mark gaisser
Victor O

Post by mark gaisser »

hey kirk,
i do have the legs in stock if your still looking for the legs..they are from a amberola 3..just email me at croakinfrog@yahoo.com and i will send you pictures.
kind regards,
mark and d'arcy
croakinfrog phonographs

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

I have sent you a message sir!

:)