FOR SALE: Edison Disc Reproducer Holders: $75 + Shipping

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

FOR SALE: Edison Disc Reproducer Holders: $75 + Shipping

Post by phonogfp »

Thanks to a talented friend, a cooperative foundry, and a master machinist, I can now offer excellent reproductions of the rare Edison single reproducer holder that clamps to the motor plate:
holder2.JPG
holder1.JPG
There has been some discussion on this forum as to the origin of these cast holders (I know of one original and a reported second). Some believe they were supplied by a manufacturer of lateral adapters. Others believe that they were supplied by Edison for Dance Reproducers or Edisonic Reproducers. Still others believe these cast holders came with kits to convert conventional Edison Disc Phonographs to Long Play capability. (One known kit - never used - indeed has a single reproducer holder, but it is the stamped metal variety that screws into the cabinet.)

I happen to believe that this cast holder that clamps to the motor plate was a short-lived Edison product, and here's why:
holder4.JPG
Note the shaped channel in the reproduction holder (above) which accepts the Edison motor plate is identical to that on the Edison "Long/Short" switch assembly (bottom). Both original components are cast iron (the reproduction is cast bronze). I can't prove it, but my gut tells me this clamp-on reproducer holder was an Edison product. Typical Edison over-engineering. In any event, it's quite rare, and very handy.

Unlike the stamped steel double holders found in the Edison Long Play consoles, and the one known single stamped holder found with an L-P kit, these cast holders DO NOT SCREW INTO THE CABINET. These holders can be transferred from machine to machine if desired, without marring cabinetry.

They can of course be used for storing & displaying lateral adapters, Dance Reproducers, Edisonic Reproducers, or an additional conventional Edison Reproducer.

These reproductions are identical to the original except for being cast bronze rather than cast iron. (A magnet is the only way to tell the difference.) After casting, these were machined in a custom-made jig, deburred, finished, and painted (one coat primer plus two coats black). The result is a beautiful reproduction.

There were only 13 of these that passed the critical standards of my friend. One has already been sold, which leaves a dozen as shown in the photo below:
holder3.JPG
The price on these is $75 each + $7.15 Priority Mail shipping in the continental U.S. If more than one is desired, I will refund any savings in postage. No Paypal, but your check or money order is fine. If interested, PM me and I will reserve a holder for you while your payment makes its way to me.

I'll be happy to answer any questions, post additional photos, etc.

Thanks, and best to all,
George P.

Steve Levi
Victor II

Re: FOR SALE: Edison Disc Reproducer Holders: $75 + Shipping

Post by Steve Levi »

PM sent.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Beautiful job George! Now my two originals are worth far less! Just kidding, but I do have two originals. Many DD owners have dual reproducers for their sets, or even three in the case of my Beethoven, an Edisonic, an Orophone 78 adapter, and a Long Play.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

PM sent.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Over a third of these are gone already! :)

George P.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Hi,

Tried to send you a PM, but it seems to have stuck in my outbox. Please put me down for one of these and send me your contact details. Thanks!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

All PMs received and acknowledged - thanks to everyone. (PMs will remain in the "Outbox" until they are read, then they will appear in "Sent.")

Only 6 remaining.

George P.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Make that 5 remaining...

George P.

winsleydale
Victor III
Personal Text: "Communism is the very definition of failure!"

Post by winsleydale »

Pm sent
"Death is a preferable alternative to communism!" - Liberty Prime

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I'll take one also. I think you are right about it being an Edison product. I own a never sold Edisonic Beethoven that came from the dealer's descendants. It had a Long Play kit installed I believe back in 1927 when the LP records were still a thing. I got a Long Play reproducer still in the box and some NOS Long Play records which also never sold. My Beethoven has the clamp on style holder, which may mean it was included in the Edison LP kit. Although I know other kits may have had the screw on holder too.