Check out the new Diamond Disc repros! Fantastic!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Check out the new Diamond Disc repros! Fantastic!

Post by marcapra »

Have you checked out Don's new, perfect Diamond Disc copies? In a Youtube video, he shows his first attempt and new attempt after buying some expensive equipment. The difference in quality is so stunning, you can both see and hear it! I got my original DD back a few days ago and am happy to have contributed in a very small way to his effort. Don posted his achievement in the Music section, but I'm taking the liberty to post it here too, as many on this forum don't read that section very often.

The choice of what Don duplicates next will depend on how sales go and of course what he thinks he would like to duplicate. I just want to see how many of you would buy a Fess Williams and His Royal Flush Orch. record, such as Hot Town, or I'm Feeling Devilish? The originals are rare and expensive.

In Diamond Discs, how many would want an Ermine Calloway record like Is there anything wrong with that?/ Good little, Bad little you. Or B. A. Rolfe playing Makin' Whoopee!

https://youtu.be/n40QjsCqUcs

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: Check out the new Diamond Disc repros! Fantastic!

Post by audiophile102 »

The Edison records I would love to own are by Red & Miffs Stompers. I think they only made three records for Edison. Reproducing those recordings would be really great I I would buy them all! I bid on one when it came up on ebay, but lost it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-MIFFS-STOMP ... 1438.l2649 Check out this You Tube video for a song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJe7r1rboCs
Last edited by audiophile102 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

I would like to see "Puttin on the Ritz" released on 78 maybe from Leo Reisman? or a Scroll release.

How about some Edison Lateral 78's like: Singin in the Rain, Susianna or some Ermine Calloway selections.

On Edison Diamond Disc, some nice B.A. Rolfe Makin Whoopee, Ermine Calloway, Red and Miff, "State and Madison- A Chicago Stomp" by Joe Herlithy's Orchestra, Frank Braidwood's "Red Red Robin"

This opens up the opportunity for us to have nice playable copies of the most desirable and expensive recordings. It is also the music that people like when I demonstrate my machine, it gets people interested. If we are going to keep our hobby alive for the next generation, this is one way that can help!

Don is doing a fantastic job and making a great contribution to the hobby. His demos have worked great with the new process. I have had no problems playing his new 78's with a steel needle. They play like a regular 78. I never thought this was possible, but he has shown us it can and is being done.

I love how his process actually is so good that it makes the label right on the recording. It would be neat to see this with a Electric Edison 78.

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

Victrolacollector wrote:I would like to see "Puttin on the Ritz" released on 78 maybe from Leo Reisman? or a Scroll release.
I just announced a week ago that I will be producing copies of that song using silicone rubber. You have dibs on the first copy available. Sorry for the elongated wait, it will soon be over.
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

Hit of the Week
Victor I

Post by Hit of the Week »

RolandVV-360 wrote:
Victrolacollector wrote:I would like to see "Puttin on the Ritz" released on 78 maybe from Leo Reisman? or a Scroll release.
I just announced a week ago that I will be producing copies of that song using silicone rubber. You have dibs on the first copy available. Sorry for the elongated wait, it will soon be over.
I, too, would buy one of these! Put me on your list!

Thanx! Iowa Dale

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

RolandVV-360 wrote:
This is great! I wish you would have started a year earlier so I would't have had to :lol:
Put me down for one as well.

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

moi aussi!

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Great job! I have made some promising progress and if everything goes accordingly, I will have my first DD out within the next month. I happen to have a decent diamond disc copy of Red & Miff's Stompers' Hurricane/Black Bottom Stomp. So, that one will go in first. Keep up the good work! :D

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I have a near mint condition copy of Red and Miff's Black Bottom Stomp and Hurricane 51878 that I acquired from Ron Dethlefson's collection a couple of years ago. Although, if it's Black Bottom that you're wanting, Black Bottom Stomp is a Jelly Roll Morton composition with no relation to Black Bottom, which is on DD 51815 by Harold Stern and his Hotel Belleclaire orch. I also have a lot of the Phil Napoleon band's jazz records from the 1927 era, but before electric recording, such as La Lo La; Go, Joe, Go!; Tiger Rag; The Cat, a spooky novelty; Rubber Heels; and Clarinet Marmalade. These are all in near mint condition from Dethlefson's collection.
Last edited by marcapra on Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Go, Norman, GO!! :D