PM sent.

Thanks,
John

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: FOR SALE: Edison Disc Reproducer Holders: $75 + Shipping

Post by fran604g »

marcapra wrote:I'll take one also. I think you are right about it being an Edison product. I own a never sold Edisonic Beethoven that came from the dealer's descendants. It had a Long Play kit installed I believe back in 1927 when the LP records were still a thing. I got a Long Play reproducer still in the box and some NOS Long Play records which also never sold. My Beethoven has the clamp on style holder, which may mean it was included in the Edison LP kit. Although I know other kits may have had the screw on holder too.
Marc,

Not to highjack the thread (sorry, George) but, that's really interesting, because I know of only 2 extant clamp-on type examples (I'm sure there MUST be more out there!)

Could you take photos of it, and closely examine it for any manufacturer's marks -- for identification purposes?

Thank you,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Folks,

We just SOLD OUT of the 12 holders available. However, if there is sufficient interest, we can make up another batch.

If you would like to obtain one of these holders, please let me know and I will add your name to a list.

Thanks to all who have ordered. Your holders will be on their way to you as soon as your checks arrive.

Best to all,
George P.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

So far, we have only two names on the "Interested" list. Unless we have about a dozen interested parties, the project isn't really worth the time and effort. If you'd like one of these clamp-on reproducer holders, shoot me a PM and we'll add you to the list.

Best to all,
George P.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

George,

Do you know if these clamp style holders have ever been reproduced before you? And Fran, yes, I will photograph my clamp holders, I have two, and post them here. Marc.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Thank you, Marc.

-Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

marcapra wrote:George,

Do you know if these clamp style holders have ever been reproduced before you? And Fran, yes, I will photograph my clamp holders, I have two, and post them here. Marc.
Marc,

I'm not aware of these holders having been reproduced before.

George P.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

According to Mike Sorter, these clamps have been reproduced before, he thinks. He has an update to the unsold dealer stock Beethoven Edisonic that I bought. Now this really creates a mystery. Mike said that two single-slot reproducer holders came with the Beethoven, a screw on type and a clamp type. He got the screw on one. I got the clamp on one. Which one came with the Edison LP kit? Probably the screw on type judging from the story of a kit's contents told by George. But I will take some pics of mine to see if there are any clues.

I removed both of my clamp on holders and could find no logos or numbers at all. They both have a thick coating of black paint as if they were black japanned. Both thumb screws show some age which leads me to believe there are from the '20s.
Attachments
P1000462.JPG
P1000461.JPG
P1000460.JPG
P1000459.JPG
P1000458.JPG
P1000457.JPG
P1000456.JPG

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

marcapra wrote:According to Mike Sorter, these clamps have been reproduced before, he thinks. He has an update to the unsold dealer stock Beethoven Edisonic that I bought. Now this really creates a mystery. Mike said that two single-slot reproducer holders came with the Beethoven, a screw on type and a clamp type. He got the screw on one. I got the clamp on one. Which one came with the Edison LP kit? Probably the screw on type judging from the story of a kit's contents told by George. But I will take some pics of mine to see if there are any clues.

I removed both of my clamp on holders and could find no logos or numbers at all. They both have a thick coating of black paint as if they were black japanned. Both thumb screws show some age which leads me to believe there are from the '20s.
Thank you, Marc! :)

Very interesting. Are they attracted by a magnet?

Best,
Fran

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

I just checked both of my clamp on holders. Yes, a magnet sticks hard to them, both the black part as well as the thumb screw. Mike tells me that the repros that he saw for sale many years ago cost $25 each. He said he wishes he had bought one.