My First Modern Turntable - Brunswick Charleston Video

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Re: My First Modern Turntable - Brunswick Charleston Video

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

I think it's very impressive how well it has turned out.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

That's a really nice turntable. I have had mine in the US for about four years now and it has been very reliable.

And a nice musical selection too!

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

The wow and flutter spec on that 'table isn't the greatest, I think I read it was 0.13 % But it may not be so much of an issue when playing at 78 rpm.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Yes, the WRMS is rated at < 0.2% but with 78's that no problem and even with most LP's you won't likely hear that either. The AT turntable is otherwise very affordable, especially for a direct drive.

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

WDC wrote:That's a really nice turntable. I have had mine in the US for about four years now and it has been very reliable.

And a nice musical selection too!
I've read some less than favourable reviews of the AT 120 USB. The sound quality is good, but there are some other issues. The anti skating doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot, and the arm lift dampening stops within a year, after which the tone arm will just drop like a bomb on the record.

I've never owned this AT, but I've had an Esoteric Sound CVS 14 since 2004, and I experienced these exact same issues. Not surprising, since they're both manufactured in China, by Hanpin. The Esoteric Sound is basically the same player as the Audio Technica, except it has a vertical/lateral switch and it lacks the internal preamp. Also, it costs twice as much.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

bart1927 wrote:
The anti skating doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot, and the arm lift dampening stops within a year, after which the tone arm will just drop like a bomb on the record.
Being my first electric machine, I'm not sure how the anti-skate is suppose to work, but set all the way one way or the other has zero effect. So far this is my only complaint, and it's possible I just don't know what it's supposed to do.
As for the tone arm lift, it works great now, we'll see in another year or so.

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

donniej wrote:
bart1927 wrote:
The anti skating doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot, and the arm lift dampening stops within a year, after which the tone arm will just drop like a bomb on the record.
Being my first electric machine, I'm not sure how the anti-skate is suppose to work, but set all the way one way or the other has zero effect. So far this is my only complaint, and it's possible I just don't know what it's supposed to do.
As for the tone arm lift, it works great now, we'll see in another year or so.
The turning of the platter pulls the tone-arm inwards, so an equal and opposite counterforce is needed to keep the stylus in the middle of the groove. The anti-skating function provides that counterforce.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

bart1927 wrote: the AT 120 USB. The sound quality is good, but there are some other issues.

What is the base / plinth of this 'table made from ? Is it all plastic ? Or is the bottom half plastic with something else on top, like aluminum, or vice versa ?

The built in preamp has been a complaint of some. Apparently the 'table sounds better with that preamp removed. There are online tutorials for that. But doing so would void your warranty, I'm sure.

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

Wolfe wrote:
bart1927 wrote: the AT 120 USB. The sound quality is good, but there are some other issues.

What is the base / plinth of this 'table made from ? Is it all plastic ? Or is the bottom half plastic with something else on top, like aluminum, or vice versa ?

The built in preamp has been a complaint of some. Apparently the 'table sounds better with that preamp removed. There are online tutorials for that. But doing so would void your warranty, I'm sure.
It's all plastic. But it has a heavy metal plate inside to reduce unwanted vibrations, and I believe it also acts as a ground.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

WDC wrote:Yes, the WRMS is rated at < 0.2% but with 78's that no problem and even with most LP's you won't likely hear that either. The AT turntable is otherwise very affordable, especially for a direct drive.
Now I remember where I got the wow & flutter spec of 0.13 % - it was the turntable that bart1927 has, the CVS 14.

http://www.esotericsound.com/turntable_ ... 20Spec.htm

Yet the AT 120 USB has it at 0.2 %. Curiously. It would seem as if they have the same motor.

Don't want to make too much if it, though, it's not really the subject of the thread.