My First Modern Turntable - Brunswick Charleston Video

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
bart1927
Victor II

Re: My First Modern Turntable - Brunswick Charleston Video

Post by bart1927 »

Wolfe wrote:
WDC wrote:Yes, the WRMS is rated at < 0.2% but with 78's that no problem and even with most LP's you won't likely hear that either. The AT turntable is otherwise very affordable, especially for a direct drive.
Now I remember where I got the wow & flutter spec of 0.13 % - it was the turntable that bart1927 has, the CVS 14.

http://www.esotericsound.com/turntable_ ... 20Spec.htm

Yet the AT 120 USB has it at 0.2 %. Curiously. It would seem as if they have the same motor.

Don't want to make too much if it, though, it's not really the subject of the thread.
Btw, 2 months ago I upgraded to a Technics SL-1200 GR. :D

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

^ Now you're talking ! I've been pining for one myself, since they were announced recently. But they don't seem all that easy to obtain just yet, handmade in Japan and all, so, I assume you're joking ? :(

They look like very well engineered 78 capable TT's, with the ability to adjust the pitch +/- 16 %, covering most records that you will encounter, maybe save some of those Pathé's.

The modded Technics sl-1200's that KAB Electro-Acoustics sells only cover +/- 8 %, which has dissuaded me from buying one.

These modded Stanton ST-150's that Mapleshade sells are intriguing. I think they are quite attractive to look at. I just haven't seen enough general feedback / testimonial to yet convince me that they are worth that much more than a stock St-150, which runs about 500-600 dollars. The Mapleshade modded Stanton's are in the price range of the Technics 1200 GR.

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Stanton ... ducts/201/

An original ST-150 (not so much the currently available ST-150 MK 2, it would seem) is fairly a beast of a TT. Not speaking of the straight arm version, with no offset, which isn't recommended for anything but DJ's who like to scratch.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

The resin copy of Charleston played on the Victrola sounded very nice. Not much background noise. What potential is to be had here !

Someone ought to hook one of those up on an Orthophonic machine.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Wolfe wrote:The resin copy of Charleston played on the Victrola sounded very nice. Not much background noise. What potential is to be had here !

Someone ought to hook one of those up on an Orthophonic machine.
Thanks. The copies are virtually identical to the original, as you can see by the label detail. Luckily I found a mint original to copy. Its so nice I can't bring myself to play the oroginal 8-)

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

Wolfe wrote:^ Now you're talking ! I've been pining for one myself, since they were announced recently. But they don't seem all that easy to obtain just yet, handmade in Japan and all, so, I assume you're joking ? :(

They look like very well engineered 78 capable TT's, with the ability to adjust the pitch +/- 16 %, covering most records that you will encounter, maybe save some of those Pathé's.

The modded Technics sl-1200's that KAB Electro-Acoustics sells only cover +/- 8 %, which has dissuaded me from buying one.

These modded Stanton ST-150's that Mapleshade sells are intriguing. I think they are quite attractive to look at. I just haven't seen enough general feedback / testimonial to yet convince me that they are worth that much more than a stock St-150, which runs about 500-600 dollars. The Mapleshade modded Stanton's are in the price range of the Technics 1200 GR.

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Stanton ... ducts/201/

An original ST-150 (not so much the currently available ST-150 MK 2, it would seem) is fairly a beast of a TT. Not speaking of the straight arm version, with no offset, which isn't recommended for anything but DJ's who like to scratch.
Nope, I'm not joking! Over here in the Netherlands they're not that hard to obtain. This is where I bought mine: http://www.albepro.nl/technics-sl-1200g ... ve-en.html

As far as I know KAB stopped selling modded 1200's years ago. You have to buy a 2nd hand 1200 yourself, and send it to them for modification.

There's also a company in the UK that modifies 1200's, called Timestep, but they are so expensive that it was actually cheaper to buy a 1200 GR.

It's a great thing, rock solid, and very heavy. What I really like is that both the audio cables and the ground wire are detachable, and not soldered to the inside of the player. The only slight disadvantage that I noticed was that the tone-arm is a little lighter than that of my CVS, which means that when using the original standard Technics headshells you can't get the stylus pressure above 3,5 grams, because you can't turn the counterweight any further forwards. So you have to use slightly heavier headshells. I'm currently using a couple of Rek-O-Kut headshells from Esoteric Sound, and another one from Technics with a removable 2 gram weight you can screw on top, and that works fine.

It's missing a vertical/lateral switch, and you can't play records in reverse, so if you have a lot of (vertical) Pathé's that might be an issue. But I don't have any vertical Pathé's and for the few vertical records in my collection I can still use the vertical/lateral button on my VSP.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

The SL-1200GR is a great quality piece. But since I already have my SL-1210 M3D for vinyl, few years before they re-introduced the Technics, I got myself the Reloop RP-6000: http://www.reloop.com/reloop-rp-6000-mk6-ltd

It has a load of interesting features. What got me hooked was the +/- 50% pitch control, which allows me to natively play anything from 16 ⅔ to 117 rpm. This was quite helpful with a set of 5" Berliner records. I use the reverse feature quite rarely but it comes in handy with nasty scratches that tend let the needle skip over the groove. Usually then, a record can be played back in reverse without any issues. I also modified the turntable by putting the transformer into an external box, which improved it further and I am quite happy with it. The switches have an excellent quality, not flimsy at all and the top part of the case is all metal.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

bart1927 wrote:
As far as I know KAB stopped selling modded 1200's years ago. You have to buy a 2nd hand 1200 yourself, and send it to them for modification.
Looks to me like KAB is offering unrestored 'preowned' tables that one can order with the 78 mod - running about $ 900.00 - but the mod is not offered for the SL-1210M5GSE or the SL-1200GLDSE.

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/ttables.htm

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

WDC wrote: and the top part of the case is all metal.
Seems to resemble closely the current Stanton ST-150. They're made in the same factory, I believe. The original Stanton ST-150 was all metal, and weighed over 40 pounds. The current model (MK 2) is about half that. They may retain the same high torque motor. High torque is best for spinnin' 78's.

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

Wolfe wrote:
bart1927 wrote:
Looks to me like KAB is offering unrestored 'preowned' tables that one can order with the 78 mod - running about $ 900.00 - but the mod is not offered for the SL-1210M5GSE or the SL-1200GLDSE.

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/ttables.htm
"As of Dec 26 2010, KAB no longer has stock on brand new turntables.
The tables shown on this page are for information only. The prices shown are the last know retail prices as of Dec 2010.

Going forward, I plan to offer "Like New" refurbished tables but do not have a current timetable for that.
I continue to offer our state of the art mods on all used 1200's. Simply choose the "Send Yours" link above."
;)

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Wolfe wrote:Seems to resemble closely the current Stanton ST-150. They're made in the same factory, I believe. The original Stanton ST-150 was all metal, and weighed over 40 pounds. The current model (MK 2) is about half that. They may retain the same high torque motor. High torque is best for spinnin' 78's.
Just checked detailed photo of the ST-150 and yes, it's very close and surely made at the same factory. The S-tonearm is exactly the one I have and fortunately has the similar geometry to the SL-1210. That makes switching pickups quite easy. Also the maximum torque is ranging between 2.5 and 4.5 kg/cm, exactly the same.

It is quite interesting, that both the SL-1210 MK2 and later turntables have the same specs at 0,025% WRMS and -78 dB rumble as the new SL-1200GR. The original Technics design for the upper torque drive had expired, which is the reason for the other brands that are now on the market. Only the torque is higher at 2.2 kg/cm compared to 1.5 kg/cm. So, the main reason for the new upper torque design was likely a new patent protection for Panasonic.