WANTED: Credenza Horn (APS show)

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Jwb88
Victor II

WANTED: Credenza Horn (APS show)

Post by Jwb88 »

I've had this 2-door Victor Credenza in the garage for a year now and it's complete, working, and beautiful--but it has no horn. The inside was gutted.
I've worked hard on it, but now, short of making a horn, I'm stuck. Anyone have a horn to spare? Please message me if you have one.
I will be attending the APS show next weekend in Buena Park, hopefully I'll find one.
Otherwise it'll just stay wrapped up in the garage, all dressed up with nowhere to blow :lol:

Thanks!
-John
Attachments
credenza1.jpg
credenza1.jpg (120.31 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
credenza2.jpg
credenza2.jpg (123.54 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
credenza-3.jpg
credenza-3.jpg (105.06 KiB) Viewed 1216 times

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: WANTED: Credenza Horn (APS show)

Post by JerryVan »

Wow that's nice! There was a classified here some months ago, unsuccessfully trying to sell a 2-door Credenza. It was ultimately offered to sell off its parts. Search back to see if the horn still remains. Believe it was for sale by user Skihawx.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

I still have some of the parts. The horn sat in my garage for a time and then I busted it apart and it went to the transfer station. It was interesting to see how it was constructed. The finish on the cabinet top seems extremely nice. It looks too nice to be an original. But it is a very nice refinish.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

You are correct, the lid is the only part that needed major work (which is why I took a photo of it). Attached is a before shot. I ended up doing a lot of very fine sanding to the original finish. Then I blended it with minwax stains and finished over it. I could have stripped it, but I wanted to have a sort of guide as far as the color toning. I have noticed it seems that the toning/blending on credenzas vary widely. This one has pretty dramatic toning with nearly black edges. I did very little to the sides and you can see how dark the edges are compared to the center of the panel. I really like the look.

The only other thing that was sanded, stained, and recoated were the bun feet and the bottom trim piece. They were flaky.
Thanks for the input so far.
Attachments
credenzalidbefore.jpg
credenzalidbefore.jpg (146.56 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
credenzaside.jpg
credenzaside.jpg (106.52 KiB) Viewed 1114 times

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

I think it looks great! Wish you could do one of mine.

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

Hi John,

I will have a two door Credenza (needs the TLC you gave to yours!) for sale at the show this weekend. But, that got me thinking, so I made a few calls. Jim Constantian has a Credenza horn. It belonged to another friend of mine, and he was going to get rid of it, and Jim asked him for it. Another friend borrowed it from Jim, and has it in his garage. So, we will see if we can't get that horn down to APS show this weekend. Jim usually shares the table with Michael Khanchalian, and I have the two tables against the far wall next to where the little food serving area/chairs are. I share tables with Nestor Guzman and my efficient side kick is Edward Collette. We hope to see you on Saturday. Where in California are you located? I'm from Riverside, CA.

I didn't ask Jim what he wanted for the horn, but I'm sure it will be reasonable. He's a good guy.

Mike Sorter
Riverside, CA

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

The TMF does it again! In 24 hrs a loose credenza horn located in the same state. Like having Edgar Cayce at your service. -Bill.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

AMAZING! I hope it'll be there! Mike, I talked to you via email recently, I'm John, also in Riverside, CA. I'm planning on showing up early Saturday and saying hi anyway, so you'll definitely see me.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and the hunting!

cweastlick
Victor II

Post by cweastlick »

Does anyone else have another Credenza horn? I, too, have a cabinet in great shape but the horn was gutted and thrown away. Why, I don't know.
Thanks!!

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

I technically still haven't gotten a horn, although I met someone through this community that has one across the country and he has been kind enough to look into shipping possibilities when he is able to.

Someone (me) out to try to manufacture a folded horn replacement. It's possible, and that way one would know it was still air-tight inside. Quite a few empty cabinets out there, it seems.But it would probably take hours and hours of work! Maybe one day...