DGAG

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Starkton
Victor IV

Re: G&T

Post by Starkton »

Sidewinder wrote: Do you have a DGAG catalog I would say 1908/9 it should be represented there
This model is not listed in DGAG catalogues from at least 1907. Later machines, even the smallest, had more richly decorated cases. Perhaps this was a short lived model made from leftover parts for the Christmas trade.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: DGAG

Post by JerryVan »

Not sure why there seems to be push-back on the acceptance of this machine. It appears very much to be an authentic machine, with some restoration work done. Is it because we seem to have trouble identifying its exact model designation? Whether that is ever determined or not should not suggest that it's anything less than a legitimate, factory produced phonograph of the proper period.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Sidewinder wrote: With this machine the wood is not oak - its a softer wood probably trying to pass - with the stain - as something more expensive
small witches hat brass horn - not necessarily on this model.
Returning home and taking a closer look (I travelled with an iPad mini) I agree that the case is softwood, possibly birch, stained red to imitate mahagoni. The stain is mostly faded by sunlight. Regular DGAG (cheap) models of the time had dark stained oak cases, more richly decorated from c. 1907. Assembled from leftover parts and only available as special offer for a short period of time, this "mahagoni" model never made it into regular catalogues.

DGAG equipped its cheapest model with a small witches hat horn of polished brass. From c. 1907, for a few years, the brass horn gave way to a witches hat horn made of nickel plated zinc, painted red inside.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Starkton wrote:
Sidewinder wrote: With this machine the wood is not oak - its a softer wood probably trying to pass - with the stain - as something more expensive
small witches hat brass horn - not necessarily on this model.
Returning home and taking a closer look (I travelled with an iPad mini) I agree that the case is softwood, possibly birch, stained red to imitate mahagoni. The stain is mostly faded by sunlight. Regular DGAG (cheap) models of the time had dark stained oak cases, more richly decorated from c. 1907. Assembled from leftover parts and only available as special offer for a short period of time, this "mahagoni" model never made it into regular catalogues.

DGAG equipped its cheapest model with a small witches hat horn of polished brass. From c. 1907, for a few years, the brass horn gave way to a witches hat horn made of nickel plated zinc, painted red inside.
You can see the original color under the turntable - it is only slightly faded which adds nicely as original patina.

DGAG equipped its cheapest model with a small witches hat horn of polished brass.
except this model I think :-) As soon as I move the huge Regina disc box out the way I will send you a pic of a fully original one!

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Here the horn in original (though a bit dusty!)
Attachments
br hn2.jpg
br hn1.jpg

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

Thanks. Sadly the seller of the three gramophones decided to scam me... A lot of money down the drain.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Could you please remind us what the other 2 machines were just so that we can be cautious if we ever see them offered for sale. And perhaps the location as well. Thanks