New Member looking to do a restore/repair

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Gerry
Victor Jr

New Member looking to do a restore/repair

Post by Gerry »

I am hoping to bring my Great grandparents Grafonola back to life. Are there any parts available for theses machines any more? I can see the little centrifugal spinner is broken and I think a spring but haven't started to disassemble till I got advice. Also I would love to fine out a model and approx year if possible.
Thanks,
Gerry
Attachments
IMG_5121.JPG
IMG_5119.JPG
IMG_5122.JPG

Dave D
Victor IV

Re: New Member looking to do a restore/repair

Post by Dave D »

Hi Gerry,
Yes, all the parts you might need for this are available. Be especially careful with the tone arm assembly. If it does not move freely, don't force it. It is pot metal and very fragile. Ask specific questions as you need answers and you will find out what you need.

You might consider sending the motor out for service unless you have an interest in learning how to do it yourself. If this is the only phonograph you will ever work on, consider sending it out.

Good luck!
Dave D

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

There are several good sources for parts and repair. I agree with the above post. When I need parts and repair of my machines, Ron Sitko is my main contact. His address and telephone number are in the Links Section.

Gerry
Victor Jr

Post by Gerry »

I am hoping to do the repair myself. I enjoy working on things. The tone arm doesnt move side to side so I will eventually tackle that. I will go slow and take a lot of pictures as I go. Is there a place where I can get a parts blow up to know what everything is? Thanks for the help so far!!!
Gerry

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Most of the parts you want are thru several suppliers or you can go on E Bay and get them. Take your time ask a lot of question as there are many expert on this forum. You can also research books that can give you repair information. Normally that is somewhat general info. Remember you are dealing with something that has pot metal parts that can easily break if not handled correctly. I brought a complete arm for my Columbia on E bay but know what you need and that it will fit. When you ask question here it very helpful if you include several pictures. Good Luck Tom B

Gerry
Victor Jr

Post by Gerry »

Thanks Tom

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Gerry wrote:I am hoping to do the repair myself. I enjoy working on things. The tone arm doesnt move side to side so I will eventually tackle that. I will go slow and take a lot of pictures as I go. Is there a place where I can get a parts blow up to know what everything is? Thanks for the help so far!!!
Gerry
If you want to do the repairs yourself, you might consider getting a copy of "The Compleat Talking Machine" by Eric Reiss, which is available from a number of booksellers, including -- https://www.abebooks.com/9781886606227/ ... 606226/plp

The book is full of photos and illustrations, and walks you through most repairs. It will also provide the correct terminology for ordering parts.

OrthoFan

Gerry
Victor Jr

Post by Gerry »

Thanks OrthoFan for the advice. I actually already ordered it thanks to reading other post on this site.
Gerry

Dedrums
Victor O
Personal Text: phonographs are like potato chips you can't just have one

Post by Dedrums »

Hi Gerry awesome phonograph you have found the right place to get help. Alot of good guys on this forum . I've been collecting for 2 years now and needed alot of help in the beginning,and got it here.3 important things I learned in the beginning
1- always change the needle after one play
2- when changing your mainspring and they tell you be careful when handling it . Becareful I got my butt kicked by two of them. One hit me so hard sent my glasses flying acoss the garage.
3- phonographs are like potato chips you can't have just one. I started out two years ago with one cause it was cool and interesting and now I have eight and loosing my dinning room but so much fun. Good luck and remember you will meet alot of cool people in this sickness what my wife calls it.
Chris

Gerry
Victor Jr

Post by Gerry »

Chris,
I should change the needle after every record?