Double Spare Reproducer Holder Mounting - C250/C19

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Double Spare Reproducer Holder Mounting - C250/C19

Post by fran604g »

So as to not pirate the thread "Mounting the 10"-12" selector buttons on Edison C250", here: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=31505, I am beginning a new post to answer Brandon's question regarding the placement of alternative holders -- of the formed metal variety -- found to have been produced by the Edison co., and provided for use with the Long Playing Phonographs, either as originally mounted equipment, or as an add on accessory kit for Phonographs that weren't originally equipped to play Long Playing Records.

This topic is deceptively simple, and as you can see, mounting a double formed metal holder can become a relatively complex endeavor.

This is the post I am picking up from:
HisMastersVoice wrote:
drh wrote:
HisMastersVoice wrote:This helps me too, I'm going to be adding one to my C-19 soon. Does anyone have the measurements for the placement of the single reproducer holder?
Is yours the bolt-on type, or the kind held to the wood with screws? I bought one of the reproduction bolt-on types that were briefly available through the Yankee Trader section recently. It fits easily between the bedplate and false work, and I slipped it as far to the left as possible to avoid interference with the horn and reproducer in play.
Mine is the screw-in type
Brandon, I have two double holders (the formed metal, cabinet mount type) one on a C 250, and one on a C 19. Though your question was in regard to a SINGLE holder, I think the topic of both the single AND double holders ought to be broached. I assume that some of my considerations would be the same for your single holder, so here goes:

I had planned on eventually storing a variety of devices, for use with both specific machines.

Before mounting the holder, I checked for lid and horn clearances, and mounted the holder for what I thought would be the best compromise for holding a "Regular" (standard), and "Edisonic" reproducer, and eventually, some type of “78” adapter, or maybe even a Long Playing Reproducer.

The locations of the two screw placements I used are:

2-⅜" UP from the turntable trim piece, and 1-¾" and 5-¾" from the left inside of the cabinet wall. (See photo)
Double Holder Placement C 19 #172,249.JPG
You should be able to mount your single formed metal holder by using either the far-left screw placement I used; or by using the far-right screw placement I used. OR, you should be able to split the difference, and probably be able to drop your holder DOWN some.

NOTES FOR MOUNTING A DOUBLE HOLDER: After mounting my double holders, and later acquiring large soundbox OroTone and Jewel adapters, I discovered that there were some important considerations for storing them with other various devices I would keep in the holder (keep in mind that anything I did, would likely be a compromise in one fashion or another):

1.) When storing a Long Playing Reproducer in the right-hand socket, the tail WILL contact the horn at its far-left travel, so this reproducer would need to be stored in the left hand socket of the holder. When storing it in the left-hand socket, there are no special considerations.

2.) When storing the Jewel or OroTone adapter using the right-hand socket with the adapter's soundbox in its horizontal position, the edge of the soundbox WILL contact the horn at its far-left travel position. Storing the adapter with the soundbox in its horizontal position, with either a Long Playing OR "Edisonic" reproducer in the left-hand socket, causes contact between the horn, the adapter soundbox, and the reproducer!

3.) When storing the Jewel or OroTone adapter using the left-hand socket, with the adapter's soundbox in the horizontal position, the edge of the soundbox WILL contact the "Automatic Lid Support" (as it was named in the original patent - U.S. 1,303,441; C. E. Wilton), IF the adapter is swiveled to the left.

4.) When storing the "Regular" (standard) and "Edisonic" reproducers, there are no special considerations.

5.) The adapter should always be stored in its vertical position (in either socket), and the LP Reproducer should only be stored in the left socket.

NOTE: When the adapter is in the left socket, with the soundbox in the vertical position, it can be swiveled to its extreme left and not interfere with the lid support. Also, when the adapter is in the right socket, with the sound box in its vertical position, it can be swiveled to its extreme left and not interfere with a reproducer in the left socket.

Given my desire to use this holder for as many different devices as I could, I don't believe that repositioning it on the cabinet would likely result in any real improvement. If I had moved the holder location on the cabinet further to the left, I was concerned that the adapter soundbox, while stored in its preferred vertical position, might contact the lid when closed. That being said, I might have been able to drop the holder down a little more, and not cause any unforeseen issues. ;)

Here are a few photos to show the clearance issues associated with each of the various different applications I needed:

Jewel and horn contact.JPG
Jewel and Lid support contact.JPG
LP reproducer horn interference.JPG
Horn, Jewel and Edisonic contact.JPG
Good clearances.JPG
Maybe I went a little overboard with this post, but I'm eager to see how others may have addressed the topic with their own ideas! My positioning of the double holders on my Chippendales probably shouldn't be the last word on the topic, but instead a guide for others to use.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Re: Double Spare Reproducer Holder Mounting - C250/C19

Post by fran604g »

I should also add another thought I considered:

I didn't position the double holder any lower on the cabinet, for fear of making it more difficult to remove the turntable trim piece.

-Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Steve Levi
Victor II

Post by Steve Levi »

Fran, thanks for doing the "Dirty Work" for the rest of us. Great description with documenting photos! Many thanks! Steve

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Steve Levi wrote:Fran, thanks for doing the "Dirty Work" for the rest of us. Great description with documenting photos! Many thanks! Steve
You're welcome, Steve! I hope I can save someone from the usual way I approach things: Trial (failure), trial and error. :lol:

Best,
Fran