cloth for ambrerola grill 50

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tomb
Victor IV

cloth for ambrerola grill 50

Post by tomb »

-I have an Amberola 50 that I installed a grill cloth on. Do I need to put the cloth in the front grill horizontal section also or leave it open ??? I still have a little left if I need to. Tom B
Attachments
IMG_1818.JPG
IMG_1816.JPG

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Re: cloth for ambrerola grill 50

Post by briankeith »

The original grill cloth on my 50 is "pleated" which I find interesting.....

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I could not find pleated cloth as that seems to be original to the machine. Do you have the cloth in the horizontal section also?? I saw one machine wit the cloth in the horizontal slats but all those top pieces I see for sale do not have anything in them so I think that machine may have been incorrect Tom B

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

Hi Tom,

You did it right and it looks good! You leave the upper part open.

Mike

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

All Amberola 50's came with Grille cloths. Very Early Amberola 50's came with "Pleated" Grille cloths. Later ones came with just straight Grille cloth. The "Pleated" effect used on the earlier machines is very easy to duplicate. It is just a simple method of folding and gluing the cloth correctly..though it works much better if you use thicker cloth material.

The upper area of the Amberola 50 is always open and having Grille cloth in this area would be incorrect.

:0)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer
Last edited by NEFaurora on Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

NEFaurora wrote:All Amberola 50's came with Grille cloths
. Very Early Amberola 50's came with "Pleated" Grille cloths. Later ones came with just straight Grille cloth. The "Pleated" effect used on the earlier machines is very easy to duplicate. It is just a simple method of folding and gluing the cloth correctly..though it works much better if you use thicker cloth material.

The upper area of the Amberola 50 is always open and having Grille cloth in this area would be incorrect.

:0)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer
Thanks Tony... I did not want to screw it up ,that is why I inquired after I saw one with the cloth in the horizontal area. This is my first Amberola. I guess they are not right. Since the cloth is installed and looks good I will leave it alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it as they say. Maybe I should have left it off but I live in a area that sometimes gets a lot of dust in the summer and I wanted it to look clean. Tom B