Post by Swing Band Heaven »

Looks very similar cabunet wise to my hmv table grand

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... tured+hmvv

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Re: Before-After Victrola VV-VIII

Post by EdisonWizard »

CDBPDX wrote:
EdisonWizard wrote:I was curious how Howard's works. Is there any prep before you use it? Do you just try your best to match the color? Been thinking of trying it on some stuff but kinda scared lol

I'm guessing this is the same as restore a finish? Or maybe I'm confused.
Howard Restor-a-Shine is a polishing compound, different from their Restor-a-Finish. The 'Finish' comes in many wood hues and neutral. First, though, I like to use the 'Shine' to clean the surface. Don't know why, but the 'Shine is not usually on the shelf with the 'Finish'. My last 8 cans I bought off Amazon.

It cleans down to the shellac and polishes the shellac. I also use it on enameled metal surfaces. The 'Finish' is great for blending off color blemishes.

P.S. - It also requires significant elbow grease.
Oh okay I didn't know there was such a product! You're right, it's never on the shelves with the finish. I'm going to order some and try it out. It looks like it does a jam up job. You said you use it on enameled metal surfaces too? I'm guessing like edison bedplates? Ima go ahead and order some. You use it with a rag or like steel wool or something.
J.F.

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

EdisonWizard wrote:Oh okay I didn't know there was such a product! You're right, it's never on the shelves with the finish. I'm going to order some and try it out. It looks like it does a jam up job. You said you use it on enameled metal surfaces too? I'm guessing like edison bedplates? Ima go ahead and order some. You use it with a rag or like steel wool or something.
I generally use 3 cotton towels, one to apply and clean, one to do initial wiping and buffing, and one for the final buff. This polish will take the roughest edges off scaley shellac but won't eliminate it totally.
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

At last, the cabinet is all cleaned up. Next is a bit of mechanical tweaking.
Attachments
tn-600_Before-After_0007a.JPG
tn-600_Before-After_0007a.JPG (98.14 KiB) Viewed 553 times
tn-600_Before-After_0007c.JPG
tn-600_Before-After_0007c.JPG (89.37 KiB) Viewed 553 times
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8