Columbia Cylinder

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dutchman
Victor IV

Columbia Cylinder

Post by dutchman »

Was rummaging around my stuff and came across this Columbia Grand cylinder box. I bought it about 25-30 years ago at a general auction and never really looked inside thinking just another cylinder shipping container. Lo and behold it has a 5 inch cylinder inside which appears in beautiful condition. Now if I only had a Columbia Grand. This has been a great month, GEM C for $25 and now this.. :D

Bill K
Attachments
DSCN1219.JPG
DSCN1219.JPG (124.62 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
DSCN1218.JPG
DSCN1218.JPG (123.6 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
DSCN1217.JPG
DSCN1217.JPG (115.96 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
DSCN1216.JPG
DSCN1216.JPG (121.84 KiB) Viewed 1418 times

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Re: Columbia Cylinder

Post by edisonphonoworks »

That is a pretty cylinder, Columbia was known to gently cook their wax, up until about 1898 to only 350-400 degrees, while Edison got it up to 450 as a general rule, somewhere around mid 1899 Columbia started to cook up to 475F, resulting in darker batches. It is NOt always true though that those lighter batches are at a lower temperature, it also matters how much scrap wax was added, and how many times the wax was reheated. These light cylinders indicate a molding into the early part of the batches life. I find though unfortunately, that the darker the wax is usually the quieter it is, as it has cooked long enough to burn any friable organic matter off.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Thanks for the info, I'm afraid I will never get the opportunity to hear it play as I have no machine. :( :( May be time for the trader. Thanks again and have a good weekend.

Bill K

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

It is interesting it does say September of 1899, and the color is still light that is interesting. It would seem to me then that It was a very virgin batch of wax, I wonder what the Qnty of wax was made at a time at the Columbia facility. I have an Edison formula that is for 487 lbs of Edison comp 1046. I figure Columbia most likely made that much too.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

edisonphonoworks wrote:It is interesting it does say September of 1899, and the color is still light that is interesting. It would seem to me then that It was a very virgin batch of wax, I wonder what the Qnty of wax was made at a time at the Columbia facility. I have an Edison formula that is for 487 lbs of Edison comp 1046. I figure Columbia most likely made that much too.
Interesting. This cylinder looks like it has never been played.

Bill K

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

That looks like a wonderful record, and I really like the record slip! :)

I wish it were here...

George P.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

dutchman wrote:Thanks for the info, I'm afraid I will never get the opportunity to hear it play as I have no machine. :( :( May be time for the trader. Thanks again and have a good weekend.

Bill K
Nice cylinder! I have one as well I recently got in beautiful condition. If you wanna see it I can post pics. If you're wanting to part with it send me a PM, I could always use another to bolster the collection!
J.F.