Electric BK on eBay

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Raphael
Victor IV

Electric BK on eBay

Post by Raphael »

I have listed this unusual item on eBay. If anybody here has any information on it that they would be willing to share, it would be helpful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ELECTRIC-A ... SwfkdZkIm1

thanks,

Raphael
Attachments
bk.jpg

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Re: Electric BK on eBay

Post by edisonphonoworks »

Pretty interesting arrangement, looks like a Columbia motor, with a worm drive, electrical, that is very strange, it looks like that has all been there from the start.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Is it possible that this could be a private or after-market conversion?

Bill

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Whether or not it's original is exactly what I'm trying to determine. This came from Dr. Z's collection and there is no information in his files.

Raphael

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

That's pretty damned neat, Raphael!

GLWTS,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

I believe this original Columbia equipment, I've seen another like it that was also electric from the factory.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

I wonder why the factory would have made just one or two examples. Experimenting, special orders, etc.???

Raphael

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Special orders have always been made if you had enough Money ! And it looks factory not altered , Victor had cabinets made to match your existing furniture , there must be loads to be found

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

My take is that it is not a factory made item. The motor frame is the typical spring motor version and not a special casting, made specifically to mount an electric motor. The motor has been modified by shaving down one side so it fits between the motor frame stanchions where the spring barrel would normally go. Neither of these things would be the case with a purpose built, factory designed item. True, it's very nicely done. Besides, who would have paid the money required for a special order of a BK? Surely, more elaborate models would have chosen for such treatment.

Today's perspective makes it hard to believe that some guy just did this on his own, rather than it being done at the factory. Well, very long ago, when this was likely done, there were lots of guys employed as highly skilled machinists. We often see samples of beautifully made one-off machines, done by people of great ability. There just is not the same talent base today for this kind of stuff and so, to our modern eye, it looks unlikely that it could be made anywhere else than the factory of the original manufacturer.

Bottom line, I believe it's a very nicely done, very interesting, "craftsman" piece. Frankly, I don't believe it detracts from its value one bit. In fact, I believe it raises the interest level considerably over any other BK.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

After considering everybody's opinion, I think it's either original or a later modification. That settles it, ha ha.

Seriously, thanks for the comments, they are appreciated.

Raphael