APS SHOW PICTURES

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
rgordon939
Victor V

APS SHOW PICTURES

Post by rgordon939 »

Does any have any pictures and info from theAPS Show?

Rich Gordon

Jwb88
Victor II

Re: APS SHOW PICTURES

Post by Jwb88 »

I thought I took more than these but apparently I didn't or my phone crapped out. These are pretty random and blurry, so I hope someone chimes in with better photos. Lots of very interesting machines I didn't get. In the meantime, here's a few.
Attachments
IMG_1702.JPG
IMG_1687.JPG
IMG_1696.JPG
IMG_1678.JPG
IMG_1694.JPG
IMG_1691.JPG
IMG_1699.JPG
IMG_1690.JPG
IMG_1698.JPG
IMG_1688.JPG

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

The painted Asian-motif L-door is certainly an eye-catcher! Thanks for posting!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

These has me wanting more. :mrgreen:

Markola
Victor Jr

Post by Markola »

Some good pics there - thanks for posting! It gives me a chance to see what I missed, as I was there early when people were still setting up, and had to leave by noon on Saturday, before the show really got underway. I got to meet Jerry Blais, who delivered three Victrolas I'd previously purchased from him. (All three even better than described - thanks again, Jerry! By the way, my wife has forbid me to ever talk to you again... ha!) :lol: And I picked up a couple more from the good folks at Golden State Phonographs. All 5 will soon be donated to good homes.

So here are some "before" pics, showing the show while dealers were still setting up. Even then, there were some wonderful machines on display, and LOTS of records (picked up 30 or 40 early blues 78's on my way out before making the run back north).

Cheers!
Mark
Attachments
Half the vendors still setting up and people are already wheeling and dealing... some great machines making their way into the room.
Half the vendors still setting up and people are already wheeling and dealing... some great machines making their way into the room.
Attendees going through records - big selection here...
Attendees going through records - big selection here...
People starting to look and deal...
People starting to look and deal...

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Thanks JW for the nice pics! I wish someone had taken some pics of Gary Dial's Victrola 8-7 and 4-7. The 8-7 had one of the most stunning finishes I'd ever seen in fumed oak, and the 4-7 had a mahogany finish that was a revelation! You thought to yourself, oh, that's why mahogany was so popular! It was gorgeous! I think Gary said the machines had original finishes! This show seemed to me to be more sparsely attended than past shows. It suffered from there being more sellers than buyers. Maybe it's a harbinger of things to come as older collectors pass away and not enough younger people are interested. Although I did see a ten or twelve year old boy who was going around looking at all the items with interest. I was a seller with four machines for sale: Chippendale 250, William and Mary W-19 (see pic), Columbia Alhambra 1913 (see pic above), and a 1941 Philco radio/phono with Beam of Light record changer (restored). Obviously the Philco was a bit out of place in a phonograph show, so it didn't sell. I sold the C-250 and the Columbia Alhambra, but I was disappointed that the William and Mary, priced at $400, did not sell. It was in very good condition and buyers showed some interest, but no offers came. I sold two of my four horns, and some classical records. I had about six big boxes of classical records priced at $1 a record. After touring the field, I found Randy Skretvedt, of Laurel and Hardy fame. He was selling his classic book Laurel and Hardy, The Magic Behind the Movies, now expanded greatly to coffee table book size and costing $80. I have owned the 1987 version of it for decades. He also had many boxes of classical 78s in excellent condition with a "Save these 78s from the dumpster" sign on them. But instead of costing a dollar a record, they were all free! You could take just one or take everything! So I went back to my booth and said my records were also free, only if you took a whole box! Almost everyone passed on that offer and chose to pay the dollar a record price. One guy, Mr. Romeo, took the offer and took a whole box for an enthusiast friend. So if anyone wants a fine William and Mary W-19 or a 41 Philco, drop me a line. Marc.
Attachments
W-19_1696.jpeg

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

marcapra wrote:Thanks JW for the nice pics! I wish someone had taken some pics of Gary Dial's Victrola 8-7 and 4-7. Marc.
What was the asking price of the 8-7 and 4-7?? Was there a Circassian Walnut VV-XVI lurking in the background?

Oceangoer1
Victor III
Personal Text: "I dreamt of Paris again last night"-Roger

Post by Oceangoer1 »

Markola wrote:Some good pics there - thanks for posting! It gives me a chance to see what I missed, as I was there early when people were still setting up, and had to leave by noon on Saturday, before the show really got underway. I got to meet Jerry Blais, who delivered three Victrolas I'd previously purchased from him. (All three even better than described - thanks again, Jerry! By the way, my wife has forbid me to ever talk to you again... ha!) :lol: And I picked up a couple more from the good folks at Golden State Phonographs. All 5 will soon be donated to good homes.

So here are some "before" pics, showing the show while dealers were still setting up. Even then, there were some wonderful machines on display, and LOTS of records (picked up 30 or 40 early blues 78's on my way out before making the run back north).

Cheers!
Mark
What model is the dark console in the direct center of the panoramic shot?

-Connor

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Connor, I think that console was an empty Edison cabinet, not sure of model.

The William and Mary Edison was gorgeous. I can't believe that didn't sell. Very tasteful machine.
The high end oak Grafonola I saw on Sunday was great, too.

I thought there were slightly less buyers than last year, yes, but I also thought there were slightly less things for sale. I could have missed them, but I saw no Viva Tonals, no Panatropes, only a few orthophonics (excepting the splash caused by the schoolhouse and the apparently NOS 4-7). Mike had a great two-door credenza fixer at a great price but I still have my hornless one to complete so I hope someone gave that one a good home. Only a few record cabinets. Phono lamps? Only a little vinyl (I know, it's later, but last year I got lots of great historical stuff reissued on vinyl). I didn't ask everyone but I couldn't find any soft tone needles, which I found hilarious. All these machines and just a few small bins of medium or loud needles. I was grateful for those. I ran out of soft and I was counting on picking up some there. Gotta place an order now, lol. I'm not saying there wasn't some show-stopping stuff. I'm just saying that to me the variety seemed a tiny bit wider last year.

That being said, it was truly a really great show. Fantastic stuff. I think every seller there clearly put some hard work into it and there was great stuff at every table. I know I bought more than I should have and I regret nothing, nothing--except not buying more.

I want to thank everyone who chatted with me and tolerated my browsing and grazing their stuff. I really appreciate it. And let's all thank Jerry and everyone else who provided transportation or communication between collectors. Thanks everybody!

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

Well, selling wise, I think this was my greatest show yet! I sold my Credenza, 3 miscellaneous portables, a cameraphone, a Bing Pygmiphone, a Stewart, a Thorens Excelda, a Fireside Model A, and Standard Model D, a Home model D with cygnet horn, 2 Columbia Q's, many phonograph books, at least 100 cylinders (still have about 900 left from the show!), a few records, and some parts and reproducers. Oh, I also sold a Dictaphone in wooden cabinet! It worked great, as I just re-wired it, and it just had to go, as well as the Credenza! So, I was very happy to see the 2 largest items I had sell! Really enjoyed meeting Eric Reiss, author of the Compleat Talking Machine. I had him autograph the 2 copies of his book that I had for sale, but I forgot and had left my original copy at home. I wanted to keep that one, as it is the first phono book I bought, and I got it from my friend Jerry Ellis, who passed away just about 3 weeks before the show.

It was great to see Jerry and Stan, Joe Manzo, Mike Stitt and Bryce Paris. Pat Jones told me I inspired him to get a table for the first time in a few years, so it was good to see him and Jamie. Bob Cox and his wife had a booth near me, and it was good to visit with them. Marc was right across from me, and luckily let Edward Collette and me put the Credenza and and Edison BC-34 in front of his tables! So many other people were there that I enjoyed seeing as well. Always a great time!! Also nice to meet Jwb88 at the show. Yet another collector I found in the last 6 months who lives in the same town as me--Riverside, CA!

Thought the show was great, and I am also very happy with the purchases I made. GEM Model A, with Model B reproducer from Joe Manzo, a couple of European cylinder machines from a friend--an English Pandora, basically an English version of a Q. Also, a Musica machine, playing only Pathé Salon sized cylinders. And finally, an Amberola VIII, needing simple restoration and a reproducer. NICE Bacigalupi cylinder box, and a MINT 20th Century Uncle Josh cylinder--Ground Hog Day. Let Us Not Forget, Night Before Christmas, Bonnie Blue Flag, Roosevelt's Farmer and the Businessman, Silent Night, couple of Royal Purples, about 30 wax, amberol, and blue amberol Uncle Josh cylinders were among the best I purchased.

Enough rambling for now. Every time I think I could never find as good of stuff as last year.......!!

Mike Sorter