Another HMV 101 in Teak

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
jboger
Victor IV

Re: Another HMV 101 in Teak

Post by jboger »

Well, I confess I must back off and agree with Steve, at least in so far as one should always try the least invasive approaches first.

I do not necessarily rule out what I did with my own machine (I know quite well that people will still disagree) but I did so only after other reversible techniques were attempted. That I forgot to mention. I tried straight wax to fill in the alligatored surface—didn’t work. Then I tried a cleaning formula that I mix myself that I have used with success. The formula calls for Brasso, but I leave that out as too abrasive. I even tried another reversible technique that a museum curator recommends for alligatored surfaces, which to describe would take me too far afield. But it didn’t work either.

Then, after trying to redissolve the shellac (so that I would at least have the original shellac) I made the conscious decision to remove the shellac. Here my goal was to try to recreate the original intention of the manufacturer knowing full well that I could never really do so. That was a curatorial decision on my part. With regards to your teak machine, my recommendation totally jumped the gun and went straight for removing the shellac, forgetting that I had done these other steps first for a machine that was in a different state: Your shellac doesn't seem deteriorated, just scratched. Most definitely you want to keep the historical integrity of the machine intact. So, yes, absolutely follow what Steve writes. Don't jump the gun and immediately start removing the shellac. My fear was when you used the word refinish that meant stripper, sand paper, polyurethane—who knows all what. Sorry for the suggestion.

The least invasive technique is to do nothing. That's always an option. Preserves the piece in the condition you found it. If you don't like that option, then you are engaged in altering the surface. The question is, how far do you go and for what end? Are you trying to make the piece look brand new? Or have 90 years of tender loving care? Very little has survived in that condition. These are questions people ask on either side of the Atlantic.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Thank you gentlemen. I have nothing to lose by trying the conservation approach first. Hopefully it will achieve the desired result, i.e. to make the machine look 90 years old but well cared for, and if it does not work I still have the option of restoration.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Roger , I must agree with Steve's comments. Please do not in any way strip back the present finish on the case , it really is not necessary. I am constantly dismayed when I see machines in auction houses where a previous owner has " cleaned " the original finish and chosen to apply some kind of proprietary coating such as varnish ( NEVER varnish any machine -- varnish was virtually never used for phonographs or gramophones years ago -- and the varnish we have today is totally different to what was available 75 or more years ago anyway ) --- problem being , it is very difficult to obtain pleasing results to case finishes in a home workshop environment. Of course these guys who did this 50 , 60 and more years ago were dealing with items which were at the time considered to be junk by most folk and had little or no interest as collectors items. Today , though , we should know better. Last year I read a magazine article in the journal of a well known British society where a member had restored a reasonably unusual and rare early version of a Columbia type A cylinder phonograph and I almost baulked when I read he mentioned he had VARNISHED the case !! Steve also mentions Brasso diluted with white spirit. That's fine , but the white spirit content can leave a residual stain on some finishes --- I use a product which is available mail order Briwax Furniture Reviver which is excellent for general cleaning up of old finishes . Can be used with 0000 grade steel wool or with a soft cloth depending upon application required. It works wonders on metal too.
Take care with this Gramophone whatever you choose to do with it . Regards Dulcetto

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Teak wrote:Congratulation ,beautiful Machine. I love the mystery of these Machines. A real pice of history.
Thank you so much for you help! If you ever would take the record flap off during restoration , and also have a ruler nearby I would be ecstatic to get one or two fotos and some measurments of the back and sides :D
Dismantling is well under way, although not helped by some small rusted in screws which eventually succumbed to bad language and WD40. Here are some pictures of the record storage flap which is reluctant to come out after removing the screws which locate it on either side. As I do not really need to remove it I am leaving it well alone.
Attachments
IMG_1761.JPG
IMG_1762.JPG

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Here is the 101 cleaned up but not re-finished. Scratch Cover polish followed by Antique Brown Briwax has worked wonders, and the machine now looks 90 years old but cared for. The only replacements are the turntable cloth and the carrying handle. The original handle was missing but my spares box contained a suitably aged replacement.
Attachments
IMG_1767.JPG
IMG_1768.JPG
IMG_1769.JPG

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Looks very nice, congratulations!

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

That looks great! Well done. I just love the Teak.

Andreas

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Very nice job, it looks great! I didn't think that the top could be saved, at first!

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Nicely done, Roger. Very nicely done. It looks fantastic in the pictures.
That's another machine carefully preserved, not destroyed by unnecessary 'restoration'!
Steve

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

A brilliant job on a fantastic machine, well done! Me, jealous? You bet!

Barry