G&T Style 3 restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Hines57
Victor Jr

G&T Style 3 restoration

Post by Hines57 »

A new project has come my way. It's a Gramophone and Typewriter New Style 3 model from the early 1900s. As you can see from the photos, the base plate needs gluing and I need to make a tapered horn-support arm (the horn is not photographed as it is away being soldered and I have the original leather elbow too). I could do with some dimensions and photos for the arm, if anyone could help. I also need long-neck sound box, which I suspect won't be easy to find. Any advice would be gratefully received.

I note the motor's governor has ball-shaped weights but most pictures that I have seen suggest that early G&T motors had cylindrical ones. The casing of this machine is of a design that suggests this is the later Style 3 (rather than a recycled 'trademark' case) and perhaps cylindrical weights were only used on the earlier design?

The large gear on the motor is also made of some form of early plastic and I suspect it is that or its bearing which makes the motor run rather noisily. I am seeking a cure and thus took the motor out ahead of gluing the base plate. It seems the motor was mounted on some dampening rubber patches, which have congealed into a black mess.

All in all, there's plenty to be done. I'm a little nervous to tackle the job because there are many parts that I suspect would be near impossible to replace and hard to make but I'm prepared to give this a go. Wish me luck!
Attachments
IMG_0681.JPG
IMG_0684.JPG
IMG_0683.JPG
IMG_0688.JPG
IMG_0685.JPG

Django
Victor IV

Re: G&T Style 3 restoration

Post by Django »

I am nearing completion on a Canadian Berliner Type A that was a bit worse than yours when I started. I asked for photos and examples in the Machines section of this forum. People were very helpful and I even had some parts donated to the project and I was able to get a correct reproducer. I would suggest re-posting to "Machines". Good luck and don't give up.

Where are you located? I get over to Europe twice a year on business.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

This reproducer is probably correct. It appears to be nearly identical to a Victor Concert. The traveling arm may lie flat or on edge, (both shown). If there is no bracket to rest the reproducer, the traveling arm would be the one on edge, or the flat one would have a feature that limits the amount that the arm can drop. I have only seen the Style 3 with the flat arm shown in the top photo, but I am not an expert on these machines. I have seen where the hardware has an extra piece that limits the drop, but I do not have a close-up of that feature.
Attachments
original.jpg
G&T.jpg

Hines57
Victor Jr

Post by Hines57 »

Wow! Thanks Django. That is really very helpful. I do think it is the flat (horizontal) arm that is required.

By a strange coincidence we had a carpenter/joiner around today (Hampshire, UK) to put in a threshold for a new door and he's helping me source some suitable timber. So, I've made a few calculations based on the photographs I've seen. I think the arm needs to be about 11 inches long and tapers from 1 inch at the fat end to about ¾ of an inch at the soundbox end. I am guessing the arm is also about ⅜ inch thick.

I am keeping an eye out for a suitable long neck 'Concert' soundbox because there's no way I have the skills to build one. I am not sure I fully understand what the peg on the back of the soundbox does. Is this what you mean about limiting the drop of the arm? I have the original leather elbow and it has a metal collar in it, so I guess I just need to fashion a metal clamp to go around the leather.

I'll see about reposting but I'm not really sure how to do that yet, as this is only my second post, but I'm sure I can work it out.

Anyway, very many thanks for a really useful reply and it's really encouraged me to get on with making the arm.

All the best.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

The small post on the back of the reproducer is to allow it to be rotated into the right position against the piece that holds it. The piece that limits the drop is at the end where the traveling arm joins with the support arm. I will try to find a good photo.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

If you cannot find the Concert type reproducer, you may have some luck finding this one. I cannot find a good photo of the limiter, but it is basically small piece of metal that attaches to the underside of the traveling arm behind the U shaped hardware. It is designed to come up against the U shaped part to prevent the arm from dropping down. You can just make it out on the G&T machine with the black horn.

As far as re-posting, what I should have said is to just post your topic again, but in the Machines section.
Attachments
trade-exhb_1b.jpg
trade-exhb_1b.jpg (28.67 KiB) Viewed 1787 times

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Interesting thread I'll be following as I also have a No. 3 that I am slowly putting right.

I'd love to find a correct G&T Exhibition if anyone knows of one. I have advertised in the Yankee Trader but not even a nibble.

Hines, keep up the nice work!! :D
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Hines57
Victor Jr

Post by Hines57 »

I have taken Django's advice and posted on the 'Machines' thread too.

I plan to glue the base plate back together today and seek out some oak for the travelling arm.

Thank you both for your supportive comments and especially Django for the photographs.